working and living with dyspraxia

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Mara
New member - welcome them!

working and living with dyspraxia

Post by Mara »

Hi their,

This is my first time on this site and through writing this, I hope that I will receive some form of advice? this is the only support I get with living with Dyspraxia, not many people know about it and fail to understand :( so far I suffer and have been diagnosed with dyscalculia and pragmatic language impairment (formally known as semantic pragmatic disorder) and although I have not been diagnosed yet I am sure I have dyspraxia as I have most of the symptoms for dyspraxia and I know that learning difficulties also come in groups. I have not yet been diagnosed purely because I find the price a bit to pricy and I am trying to find a cheaper option if their is one?

In the meantime dyspraxia does affect me daily, I've learnt not to concentrate on my disability as this will only bring barriers for me, I have successfully been promoted at work in retail however I am now struggling with the job so much so that I think that they will take it of me soon, I just can't keep up to speed with the job and even though the job is full time and permanent, I end up doing so little in 8 hours, I try and time myself with tasks at work but then I end up in a daze, and can't quite go any faster! I also get a lot of grief from people at work as they get frustrated with me, which I do understand but it still hurts and this doesn't help with my self esteem.

I know that getting a diagnose is the right thing for me as this will bring closure, just for support and to know what their coping mechanism is as sometimes I feel low as no one really understands. The job I am in know about my disability but with the job being a bit demanding I am not to sure how much I can last in that job? I understand that anything higher then a customer assistant role may be a bit to much for me and I am fine with that. To speak to someone who understands and have been their would be a great help!! also for those of you who have been diagnosed with dyspraxia can you tell me if its is worthwhile? As I really don't want to pay all that money for them to tell me something I already know!!!
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: working and living with dyspraxia

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Mara

Welcome to the forums (or fora)

Sorry to hear you have been struggling at work. A formal diagnosis on the NHS is difficult and seems to be a lottery. A lot of people if they can afford it pay in order to get one without having to wait years and constantly have to pester/cajole their local NHS. Worth asking though You might have a rare case where your GP can get you a result more easily than anyone expects.

Not sure whether your employer is a small or large company but either way they should be willing to consider reasonable adjustments to meet and best serve the needs of both customers and employees.

Another route might be to seek advice from the Citizens Advice Bureau, ACAS or the Disability Employment Advisor at the job Centre. If your employer was willing to promote you they must have felt you had the ability and maybe could be persuaded to meet part of the cost of an assessment through the Access to Work Scheme.

This guide may be of use/interest.
http://www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/d ... ia_1.0.pdf

Tom
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)