dyspraxia & working as a lab tech?

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

birds
New member - welcome them!

dyspraxia & working as a lab tech?

Post by birds »

i'm going to university for medical laboratory technology this fall. i chose this major instead of regular biology/biomedical science because the employment prospects are much better. the course is very practical with a lot of focus on labs. many of the labs are timed. we are also expected to learn how to perform venipuncture. unfortunately, i have dyspraxia and i'm not sure if this is the right choice for me. i was just wondering if there is anyone here with coordination issues who has worked/studied in a similar field? i would love to hear about your experiences. thank you.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: dyspraxia & working as a lab tech?

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Birds

Welcome

I don't work in this field but have you spoken about your concerns to the University or otherwise spoken to anyone who has done a similar course or works in this field?

Presumably you have done lab work in school/college so will have a feel for working in a lab environment and you're interested in science.

I did A Level Chemistry and Biology while at college a long time ago. One of my professors wanted to assure himself I would be OK so set up a little test with pipettes/measuring/handling liquids. It was useful to me too as I was equally reassured I was competent. I didn't have any major problems other than the math associated with molar calculations.

Is the venipuncture performed on some sort of simulation rig to start with? My advice would be make a list of the areas that concern you and either speak with someone or send an email asking the questions.

Hope this is of some help
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)