personality clash at work

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

poemsandpaintings
New member - welcome them!

personality clash at work

Post by poemsandpaintings »

Hello,
This may have already been covered-sorry I f it has-but I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever get on in an office! Which is a shame because I've actually managed to get myself the elusive 'graduate level' job.

A few days ago I was told I lacked enthusiasm for tasks, had little initiative & made out that I didn't want to be there. I like my job, a lot, work hard and an very ambitious. So, without getting to catch up in details - this just isn't true. I have to wonder if it's purely my social skills which is the issue here (this effects me a lot). I'm confident, but have never got small talk, tend to look at people as if they're stupidwhilst
processing information, pretty bad. at responding to people properly, afewnd stuff like that. I think what is our poor processing skills and crappy social etiquette is coming across as having little interest in work.

There is also a massive administration issue (2 separate programmes, timers, accurate notes etc)

So, does this sound plausible? I also ask a lot of questions to ensure I'm doing everything right l, but I'm coming across as difficult it seems.

I think I may set up a meeting to make some attempt at explaining dyspraxia as I have only just mentioned it the other day. In tears.

Or could this be one of those times to pick your battles wisely? I'm pretty stubborn and don't like to admit that there's some things I can't change :(

Thanks for any advice or enlightenment you may have!
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: personality clash at work

Post by Tom fod »

Hi welcome to the forums.

This is your individual experience so whilst other people might have similar or related issues it's just as valid that you have decided to write about your experiences. Its interesting and even useful to read about what others have experienced as we may be able to offer ideas for coping strategies and in some cases not feel so personally awkward as we now know someone else who shares the same challenges.

I'm not sure what your office tasks involve or what your co workers are like? Sometimes other peoples processes can be a nightmare for us especially when we or the very people who use or who designed them cannot really explain why something is done in a particular way. Especially when the only reason being is that it's the process and they don't want anyone changing it, its always been done like that, the reasons are clear. (actually to me they may not be!)

I can be guilty of this myself as I'm a bit of a perfectionist and I like to know how things fit in and to do something properly so it makes sense. I've experienced difficulties where colleagues' approaches to things were markedly different and it left me feeling distressed because 'I was the awkward one'.

I struggle when people show me something I'm meant to do. Especially when that something is not clearly defined and too open to interpretation, especially if I am not allowed the time to explore and fully understand why and have freedom to develop a way to do it so that both my superiors and I can all be content.

Has what you are meant to be doing or at least the desired end result and how they'd suggest you go about it been explained?
Is it clear where and how you fit it and what processes can be adapted to allow better efficiency for you, your colleagues and thus achieve the desired end result?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)