Dyspraxia in retail / a shoe shop

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Wayward
Getting settled in

Dyspraxia in retail / a shoe shop

Post by Wayward »

Hello...
I've started a new job about a month ago in a fairly busy shoe shop. The other day, I decided to tell the boss I'm dyspraxic, and gave her some information sheets from the Dyspraxia Foundation (one was embarrassingly long - I've a feeling she won't read that one) I think they're trying to be understanding about it and make allowances, though nothing specifically has been said about me being dyspraxic - they are mainly focusing on the stress aspect of it I think. I haven't been able to get a formal diagnosis but I've been quite sure for over a year now that I am dyspraxic. I ended up quitting a retail job last year because I felt too overwhelmed - I don't want that to happen again.

I was wondering if anybody else has worked in a similar sort of job and what strategies you've used to overcome the difficulties retail can present for us? Most of the information and advice out there seems to be for people in more admin-type jobs.

Some of the things that I'm struggling with:
* Remembering how to process different types of order on the till (it's the type where if you make a mistake it's a nightmare trying to undo it!), remembering to check availability before ordering etc.
* Carrying shoes around (in boxes and without) without dropping them or getting pairs muddled.
* Putting bags and shoes on high display shelves properly.
* Serving more than one customer at once (we're expected to do this in busy periods) - I am trying to cope with this by writing down names of shoes, colours and sizes before I go up to the stock room but even so it's difficult when people want lots of different shoes and some customers get impatient, which then makes me flustered and so I make even more mistakes! I also manage to get pen ink on my uniform from carrying a pen around (always scared I'll get it on the shoes as well!)
* Remembering to tidy away unwanted shoes back in their boxes (we have a shelf each out the back for boxes)
* Understanding what people are saying when there's a lot of background noise, especially when they are sitting and I'm standing, and they're looking down at their feet.
* Helping people to put shoes on. A lot of our customers are older people, so this happens a lot.
* Packing shoes into boxes neatly, to company standard, without holding up the queue too much!

So...if anyone has any thoughts on how I can make things run smoother and feel less awkward and tired in the job, would be much appreciated!
Roxy86
Regular Poster

Re: Dyspraxia in retail / a shoe shop

Post by Roxy86 »

Hiya Wayward, hope this message finds you well :)

I too am in retail, working for a well known supermarket chain and I have done for 7 years now, a huge achievement for me, as I had previously bounced from one job to the next since I was 16... holding down a job was hard. I s'pose I have just learnt to adapt and self taught myself coping stratergies :S I don't really know how to be honest, so can't be of much help I'm afraid, I think it's just cos I've been there for so long now, I am used to it.

Sorry :( All I can say is that I sympathise (or is it empathise?? :S) with you :)
-Hakuna Matata-
Wayward
Getting settled in

Post by Wayward »

Thanks for the reply. It's good to know that it is possible to adapt and find a way that works for you. I've got years of retail experience but this is presenting new challenges for me
Mr_Tom_one
Getting settled in

Post by Mr_Tom_one »

Hi, this is my first post on here. It's so interesting to read these experiences, so similar to my own!!

I work in a cinema and it took me ages to get the hang of it. My boss used to lose it with me all the time. I think time does help a huge amount, so that's positive at least. The things I do are...

At the start of each day I write down what films are coming and what else I need to know - special events, things to do that day etc. on a piece of paper and have it on the desk by the till. Writing helps me remember in itself and then the sheet's there to check for the rest of the day.

Write films times down on the back of a train ticket and keep it in my Oyster Card wallet, for quick reference.

Double check things with customers by repeating things back to them. i.e. "So that's two tickets for Friday at 6.10". So it's a way to check I've got it right and they've got it right.

Try to always smile and be as polite as possible, as this often goes a long way to sorting out any mistakes I do make (Not suggesting you don't do this anyway :)

Work solidly in a slow and steady way through the day, to stop mistakes before they can occur. Other staff seem to be able to wing it and basically sit around until something needs doing, but I have to be on it all the time or everything falls apart! On the plus side, it makes me seem hardworking to the boss.

So, don't know if any of those can help you at all? Good luck anyway!

Tom
Wayward
Getting settled in

Post by Wayward »

Thanks for the reply Tom :)
I'll bear those suggestions in mind - I think writing things down might help, and it's a good tip to try to take things slow and steady. I'm trying to let myself work more steadily, rather than trying to be as fast as the others and making more mistakes in the process (which only slows me down more in the end really!) 'Tortoise and the hare' etc etc!

Yes when I make mistakes I try to be friendly and polite about it, even make jokes at my expense (sort of putting myself down before a customer has the chance to do so or get aggressive at me) - I might rely on this too much, which is why I'm thinking of doing some sort of assertiveness training.
Mr_Tom_one
Getting settled in

Post by Mr_Tom_one »

Hi, that's Ok. I don't know anything about assertiveness training, but I can imagine it might be helpful. Maybe it can help you feel more relaxed and confident, I think that makes dealing with customers easier.

I think if the customer can see you're making a big effort to help that's important too.

I'm looking really hard for a new job at the moment and I know that dyspraxia's going to make it hard to begin with. I'm going to try and really plan as many little techniques as possible to make whatever job I get go smoothly. I'll let you know if I think of or discover any good ones!
Clumsy_Not_Careless
Getting settled in

Post by Clumsy_Not_Careless »

Oh my god. I relate to this so much! :banana: I've also been working in a shoe shop during the past year, probably the same company as you, but a different branch in a different area of the country. I struggle with exactly the same thing. It took me ages to learn orders, I've ordered the shoe in the wrong size and got into trouble for it :blush: I'm always dropping boxes too, usually when going up and down the stairs! :grin: The worst though is my short-term memory, when a customer asks me to get a certain shoe in a certain size.. Only to forget what it was as soon as I enter the stockroom! #-o Some of my collegues are supportive and tell me they do exactly the same at times despite not being dyspraxic. Others can get really impatient though :( What I do is write down the name of the shoe on a post it along with the size, so I don't forget this way :) Also, as my body tires easily with fatigue it's not easy not being allowed to sit down for 4 hours let alone 4 minutes :P I get told off for leaning a lot.

I definitely empathise having to help customers put on their shoes, when I even struggle to put my own shoes myself! :P I struggle putting shoes on little kids though, especially babies and toddlers when they cry, scream and wriggle their feet about and you can't tell if you have put them on properly :P

People may think that retail jobs are easy but trust me they're not! Especially if you have dyspraxia where some of the simplest tasks are a challenge and people think you are not taking your work seriously. I have already been kicked out of 2 retail jobs in my life and I'm on the verge of getting kicked out of this one too :( I'm hoping to be a teacher in the future and I'm worried I'm going to fail that if I'm failing retail jobs... :(
Moot
Power poster

Post by Moot »

Two jobs in the past they've asked me to leave (albeit in a kind way), so I know that feeling. >_<

There's always the same kinds of problems in any jobs I've had trying to remember things customers or staff have asked me. Remembering certain processes of things on tills and even having to answer the dreaded phone when I'm not sure what's the best to tell them. I really can't think on my feet!!

I get so paranoid the managers and so will think I'm crap and ask me to leave in each job I have had since. People tell me to try my best but if there is that mind block it's still difficult to make a decent enough impression.
Hopefully not making too many moot points... heh... *ahem* :D
Roxy86
Regular Poster

Post by Roxy86 »

I think a lot of my colleagues simply 'put up with me' rather than understanding me... Its not a nice feeling being misunderstood is it? :( I was once described as a very conscientious individual, and customer service/satisfaction is of paramount importance to me... But it often doesn't come across when I'm having an 'off day' which, seem to be most days :/ Customers seem to love my chatty, enthusiastic and smiley demeanor but my colleagues, just get frustrated with with me, even though they try and hide it, at times it's all too apparent :/ I do sincerely hope that this will change once I get my written report/diagnosis at long last on Tuesday!! :D Nervous! :S
-Hakuna Matata-
screengreen
Power poster

Post by screengreen »

Sadly I don't think its just retail that has systems, I am lucky that I can make an extra visit if I forget something but that is changing. I try to keep lots of stuff in my car forms and equipment .... don't know if long handled shoe horns would help with putting on shoes... may be more of a hinderance, but they are quite cheap so you could buy one and try it with friends and relatives ( away from your job) saying that I really don't envy you the putting shoes on other people as I have managed to put my own daughter's shoes on the wrong feet thankfully she puts her own shoes on now after lots of lessons from mum!
Wayward
Getting settled in

Post by Wayward »

Hi guys, only just seen the more recent replies on here to my thread. It's funny to find a fellow dyspraxic also working in a shoe shop! :)

Over the past few months I've been getting support from Pluss (the jobcentre referred me to them) and they've helped me sit down with my boss and talk about things. They've made a couple of reasonable adjustments for me to help relieve some of the stress of the job - I don't have to serve more than two customers at once (the company I work for are big on 'multiserving') and I am allowed to always use the same corner shelf unit in the back room to unbox my shoes so I have more space and I'm a little more away from the other activity in the back room. They've all been really good about it, even though I think they don't all understand the problem exactly. Some of them will come and quietly help me pack some shoes up and put them in carrier bags for the customers at the till, if they notice me struggling.

I'm finding I'm going more easy on myself over things I struggle with - if I struggle to help someone put on their shoe, I just remind myself it's a tricky thing for most people to do. Most customers don't seem to have an issue with it.

Having less stress has helped my short term memory, so I'm coping better (I did use post-it notes for a bit, but I think I started trying to do too much and it made things worse because I had to keep remembering to take my pad of post-its with me)

And now it's out in the open with my bosses, I know they're not going to be nasty about silly things like dropping boxes of shoes. After all, the shoes aren't likely to break from me dropping them, right?!

I try to slow down and double check while I do special orders, and make it more about confirming everything with the customer so that it looks more conscientious than like I'm slow at the job ;)
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

That's brilliant, it really is :)
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
screengreen
Power poster

Post by screengreen »

Good news thanks for sharing the outcome ... we or at least I often moan on this site I must remember to share the good stuff too!