any experience with unfair dismissal because of time keeping

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

chubb
New member - welcome them!

any experience with unfair dismissal because of time keeping

Post by chubb »

Hi

First post so here goes...

I have just been told I have not passed my probationary period because of time keeping.

I loved my job, and had received very positive feedback about the quality of my work, the only negative I had was time keeping.
In hind sight I should have informed my manager about my dispraxia but I didn't due to past experiences and feeling I have towards using it as an excuse, I don't let it limit or define me just have to try harder than others at somthings...

Do I have grounds for taking this to a tribunal for unfair dismissal???

Cheers Chubb.
Jim
Super poster

Re: any experience with unfair dismissal because of time kee

Post by Jim »

It'll be easier for them to terminate your employment if it was a contractual probationary period as it isn't quite subject to the same conduct, capability and disciplinary procedures a long standing contract is.

However, did they mention your time-keeping to you before, was any supervision and support offered? If not and it was effectively an out of the blue "sorry, but your'e fired" then you may have grounds to feel hard done by.

Google, probationary period and unfair dismissal to what it comes up with.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: any experience with unfair dismissal because of time kee

Post by Tom fod »

Chubb

Welcome to the forums (or fora). Glad you've found us but sorry things are not going well job wise.

I'm mindful of not being aware of the full circumstances of your employment or whether you might or might not have a case for unfair dismissal or if being 'let go' because they feel you're not suitable and have not completed the probationary period to their satisfaction is a valid option open to them.

In the first instance I'd request that (if they haven't already) they set out, in writing, the reasons why they have decided to terminate your contract. I would hope that you have some right of appeal here. Is there anyone who is aghast at the decision who could support you in this and/or do you have union representation that you could turn to?

The ACAS website and helpline should be able to assist you in advising whether or not you have and should pursue a claim.
http://www.acas.org.uk/?articleid=1410

All the best
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)