Some food for thought

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jad101
Getting settled in

Some food for thought

Post by jad101 »

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201048041831360

my friend came across this video and it made me think, especially we as dyspraxics about how we deal with education and what issues we come across in society as a whole more specifically in education and the workplace.
please could you watch it and tell me what you take from the video and if it in anyway relates to how you think or experiences growing up with dyspraxia.
Jim
Super poster

Re: Some food for thought

Post by Jim »

I think it was cleverly done and they are some very rethorical points in there. In that no, I have never applied Pythagorus therom, Newton's laws of motion nor any of Shakespeare's literature to my workplaces, so why does the schooling system place so much emphasis upon learning such stuff?

And for sure, education in general could be improved vastly by removing heavy bias from such things the vast majority will never ultilise and replace it with life skills such as personal banking and home financial management, skills that people are going to use in both home and work life for instance and yet the think the overall issue is far more complicated than that.

Ultimately an exam result (whilst it helps and could get an initial foot in the door) is only a small part in securing someome a job, rather more accurately experience and proven track record with the ability to display your capacity and capability is key.

Now then, unfortunately a sad fact of life is that it (life) and society is basically a competition. Any job or position you earn (or are granted) is at the expense of someone else ilregardless of who merits it more.

I'm in the unenviable position of trying to change my career (to save my own sense of sanity) and whilst I've now (perhaps for the first time in my life) chosen a role type and am applying for jobs which I know I could do whilst blindfolded and spinning around dangling upside down by my ankles from the ceiling I have very little in the way of tangible evidence to back it up with in my CV which is to say I have no previous work experience in that sector even though I do have qualifications that suggest that I have the ability and can display that I took on tasks at work (albeit from a different role) that show I may have the required skills.

However... When it comes to getting short listed I have a major disadvantage (maybe two), firstly I'm up against applicants who can display actual relevant experience in the work sector and whom also possibly are "graduates" whilst I have or am neither. I also lack confidence in "blowing my own trumpet" basically I lack the gift of the gab and really struggle to sell myself.

So, whilst I may well have as much ability (if not more than) many of the people likely to secure the jobs I am unlikely to get the opportunity to prove it against people with more or better qualifications and more relieve work history on their CV because I haven't got the creditinals to show it.

So sure, on the face of it.. Learning Hook's law during GCSE Science may not seem of vital importance in the grand scheme of things when it comes to applying your knowledge in life and vocation, however if it helps you achieve the exam result and gives you a better chance of getting a job then it is still of importance because an employer is more often than not going to go with the person who ticks most of the correct boxes. And so it's a competition isn't it? Whom who answers the most questions correctly wins the quiz.

Whilst all those things are part of achieving the grade at school, then I'm afraid they're still very important to do if nothing else to give yourself the best possible chance to progress in life.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle: