Work strengths

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tom fod
Administrator

Work strengths

Post by Tom fod »

Question to anyone whether you're in work, unemployed or studying. - What skills/qualities do you feel you have that are linked to your being dyspraxic?

For starters and in regard to myself I'd say

Conscientious and hard working
Willing to take ownership of tasks
Likes building knowledge and expertise and seeing the bigger picture
Can design clear and logical forms

To balance this out (I demand balance)

Maybe a little too resistant to change driven by those who aren't at the 'coalface' and thus are not fully appreciative of what change means for those whose focus is on the day-to day minutae.
Not always as self assured as I perhaps should be though equally I'm a bit too much of a perfectionist at times (indecisive)
Not always good at saying no (but getting better)
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Jim
Super poster

Re: Work strengths

Post by Jim »

I'm not sure I'd attribute all my work qualities as a result of my Dyspraxia however..

Conscientious and hard working
Yes, almost to a fault. If I see something not done properly (by someone else) I find it difficult to not sort things out.

Willing to take ownership of tasks
This was almost imposed upon me, but I've grown into it and now take things on upon my own initiative as standard.

Likes building knowledge and expertise and seeing the bigger picture
I have a very methodical approach and analytical eye for detail, I'm good at seeing how things work and how to improve a system to better achieve the desired result.

Can design clear and logical forms
Very much so, which is related to the above in many ways for me.

Maybe a little too resistant to change driven by those who aren't at the 'coalface' and thus are not fully appreciative of what change means for those whose focus is on the day-to day minutae.
I do fear change, however I've learnt that I "get on with it" as well as most and better than many. I am now actively trying to bring about the biggest change in my life for many years, I'm excited if also a little intimidated.

Not always as self assured as I perhaps should be though equally I'm a bit too much of a perfectionist at times (indecisive)
I have often been described as timid, certainly in my early career when I was still very much learning about myself. I'm more assured these days because I have developed a good insight into both my strengths and weaknesses with a good awareness of what I can do without need of someone else trying to point it out to me. In some ways I am a perfectionist, but that simply shows that I like to see something done properly, I do retain a sense of realism though.

Not always good at saying no (but getting better)
Indeed, being assertive is one of my main weaknesses, finding it difficult to get a word in edgeways makes it hard to put your point across and preferring to avoid conflict can make you say "yes" when you ought to be saying "hang on, no". I have been a bit of a doormat up until this point in my life, that's about to change.

In my current situation laid out in another thread I'm finally taking an action to say "no, no more of this". I fear it may be too drastic an action to take and I may yet fall flat on my face for it. Yet I'm being made genuinely ill by my current predicament and I can't carry on the way I have been.

I'm well aware of my skills, and they are good ones. I do however lack the confidence to push for myself, but I am seeking help from trusted sources and I hope better times are just around the corner.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Thanks Jim

I must admit I do tend to think of 'in spite of' rather than 'because of'. I can find it difficult to value the benefits that my different approach and need to understand things inside out and upside down and the way I approach some things differently.Luckily most people really value my thoroughness and accept that sometimes take me a little longer.

I'm very good at being a bit too focused on what I fear i'm not so good at/getting things to my often impossibly high standards and forget that reinforcing and celebrating success is a good thing too. Usually my harshest critic is myself so don't really need other people to spot and rudely point out my shortcomings which I'm almost always already aware of and don't necessarily need to be reminded of when I'm already giving my best or trying to.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

I think in many ways it's a combination.

I mean because I struggle a bit more with multi-tasking (information overload) then I'm methodical because of the dyspraxia. However my capabilities and final results are often inspite of the dyspraxia.

I see my dyspraxia almost as a diversion. It may often force me round the long way, but I'll get there anyway.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle: