Please advise I need your advice..

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

tara
Getting settled in

Please advise I need your advice..

Post by tara »

Hi

Graduating with Maths this year (hopefully) Dyspraxic 34 with two kids primary aged!

So what kind of a job should I go for that I have a high probability of sticking to? and progressing in the career ladder? Was thinking Maths teaching but maybe not! as it has lots of stress attached to it and I need to steer clear of it... Other option I was thinking was HR... but in what kind of environment and what are you opinions?

Any advice etc would be appreciated
Jim
Super poster

Re: Please advise I need your advice..

Post by Jim »

Advanced degree standard maths?

Could consider teaching at sixth form level, very small classes.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
AlleyCat
Power poster

Post by AlleyCat »

Accountancy? Of course it would mean more exams, but you might be able to get a training contract with a firm. Working for HMRC might be a good option for a maths graduate. There also might be the option of private maths tutoring. In certain parts of the country (especially where there are grammar schools and lots of independent schools), there's a real demand for this and it can be possible to make quite a good living. If you became a private maths tutor you could do it by working for an agency, or you might want to make a go of it as self-employed. Of course if you went self-employed you would have tax etc to deal with, but it should be fairly straightforward to find out everything you would need to know.
ALADDIN
Power poster

Post by ALADDIN »

The economy is very bad. Accountancy is very competitive, you will to compete with graduates of all disciplines. You have to work and study, perhaps at the pace dictated by the competitive. Statisticians/ data analyst jobs are less "sexy" but less competitive. If you have a background in Statistics and some Computer Programming knowledge , data analyst jobs are a good idea. Operational Research jobs are very competitive , especially without an MSc in Operation Research. IT jobs require the latest technologies and a few years commercial experience. Finance jobs are competitive.

Your age maybe a problem. There are too many graduates chasing too few jobs, even before the recession.