Normal Jobs for Dyspraxics

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

shawnfolse68
New member - welcome them!

Re: Normal Jobs for Dyspraxics

Post by shawnfolse68 »

I find any job with a some since of routine has worked well for me jobs manufacturing or merchindising those might fields you may find some sucess in.
24andannoyed
New member - welcome them!

Post by 24andannoyed »

I am very suprised to read that certain people with dyspraxia have found manual work and warehouse work the best option for them! As a quite heavily dyspraxic person myself, these jobs have always been the worst for me. I am a guy who can pontificate the mysteries of the universe for hours on end, can't keep up with my own brain half the time, but cannot do very simple tasks like open a cage door in a warehouse. Another example, if somebody shows me how to do something with their hands, I cannot understand it, at all. The only way I found to cope is to have whatever it is put in my hand and then instructed on how to do it, although this is usually way too embarrassing to ask, plus short-term memory problems mean that even this method isn't always useful haha!

As people have stated on other threads that I have read (only just discovered this site) one of the main annoyances of the condition is that the symptoms which affect you the most are the ones which are so mundane and easy to others that they cannot understand how it can be a problem at all, and assume you to be unintelligent or lazy/clumsy, whatever the truth!

Maybe it's just me, haha.
Creative
Super poster

Post by Creative »

I feel like you 24and annoyed. Manual work and warehouse work sound a nightmare to me! I've done lots of volunteering but haven't had a paid job yet.

It seems that what works for one Dyspraxic doesn't work for another. And we all find different things difficult! I'm amazed at some of the jobs people have mentioned. Once on this forum I read about a dyspraxic dentist!!
lauraECFan
Power poster

Post by lauraECFan »

Is your epilepsy triggered by certain lights (photosensitive epilepsy) if not maybe a dj or something?
Animal lover forever
Bookworm forever
Live for today :)
if you have a dream chase it catch it and never let go of it
AlleyCat
Power poster

Post by AlleyCat »

I also hate doing manual work, particularly work which is repetitive. A lot of people with dyspraxia will take longer to perform practical tasks, but if you have attention problems as well there is likely to be the added complication of making errors after not very long doing a task. Although I've been diagnosed with dyspraxia, I am also fairly certain that I have attention deficit disorder, which has made repetitive tasks in the workplace lethal for me. Unfortunately it has often been these kinds of tasks which I get landed with, as people make incorrect assumptions about my intelligence based on things like speech. They don't realise that giving me filing to do all afternoon is actually one of the worst things they could give me! If you want to understand more about why intelligent people can perform poorly at so-called 'easy' tasks, you might be interested to read up on executive functions.
desertboy
Getting settled in

Post by desertboy »

I have just joined this forum. I apologise if I'm rekindling an old thread, but I think I may be able to answer the original poster's (OP) question. I also have dyspraxia. Despite a reasonable level of education (BA in Business Studies, 2:1) and an IQ of 115 (not great but better than average & significantly reduced because of verrrry slow processing speed ability), I had a very hard time holding down office jobs.

However, I have worked as a Teacher of English as a Foreign Language for the past 15 years with reasonable success. In common with the OP, I have always hated kids and have therefore always chosen posts that involve teaching adults. Most of this work is based overseas, which of course is either a plus or a minus depending on your point of view. These jobs do include some admin work, but it is not of such a pace as to upset my neurodiverse system.

Most of the jobs in this field require you to complete a one month training course after which you're good to go. Let me know if you would like any further information.