I'm Dusgusted by this!

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

LuluBoo
Getting settled in

I'm Dusgusted by this!

Post by LuluBoo »

My boyfriend's little brother works in a fast-food chain
they recently found out he was autistic (quite mild) they've had 'no shifts' for him and whenever he's tried talking to the manager he gets fobbed off. He loves his job and the independance that comes with it. the other workers haven't been very understanding either :@

I have now very real concerns for him

I also have concerns about my future employment :Eek: :Eek:
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Re: I'm Dusgusted by this!

Post by Captain_Ludd »

Yeah it stinks, sounds like a case of covert discrimination but unless you can get proof that its because of the disability there's not much you can do.
Was he being offered shifts etc before they found out? It boggles my mind that he was doing the same job before they found out and nothings really changed but all of a sudden the "wall" is put up so to speak, completely irrational.
As for getting yourself a Job, the employment market at the moment is an absolute pig don't worry and just keep plugging on and good luck :) .
Willr0490
Power poster

Post by Willr0490 »

That sounds terrible, in fact I'd go so far as to say as far as I'm concerned, that sounds like outright discrimination. :evil:
LuluBoo
Getting settled in

Post by LuluBoo »

Captain_Ludd wrote:Yeah it stinks, sounds like a case of covert discrimination but unless you can get proof that its because of the disability there's not much you can do.
Was he being offered shifts etc before they found out? It boggles my mind that he was doing the same job before they found out and nothings really changed but all of a sudden the "wall" is put up so to speak, completely irrational.
As for getting yourself a Job, the employment market at the moment is an absolute pig don't worry and just keep plugging on and good luck :) .
he was offered loads of shifts before there hardly was a day during the holidays and weekends he wasn't working, his autism symptoms were improving because he was keeping himself busy
AlleyCat
Power poster

Post by AlleyCat »

I also think what's happened to your boyfriend's brother is terrible. I'm sure that he would have a good case for discrimination on the grounds of disability, as he was being given shifts before his employer found out about his autism, but his shifts immediately stopped when they found out about it. An employment solicitor would probably think he had a good case against his employer, but he might want to go to the Citizens Advice Bureau (CAB) for help first. There might also be a free local law centre he could turn to for advice, although some of these are unfortunately closing. I'm guessing he isn't in a union, but he could also turn to them for help if he was in one.
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

Thats really bad and out of order - the boss should at least tell him straight instead of just fobbing him off.
Its clear discrimination as its 'well your autistic so you can't work' when before he was working there a lot - I mean is the boss frightened of this or has things changed.

I would suggest taking some leagle advice and action as there could be a case hear if it cant be settled 'in house'.
The real Mr Potato Head