Finding Jobs

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Creative
Super poster

Finding Jobs

Post by Creative »

I haven't ever worked. I will be 23 in March. I do voluntary work in a charity shop and do some voluntary work in an office. I am not sure what sort of work I would be able do do. I haven't been to University. I have 2 GCSE'S both Grade C's, 4 units of the Clait Computer cerfticate and Get on Numeracy Level one Maths. It is difficult to know how to progress from here. I know I couldn't work in a shop. I can just about manage what I do in the Charity shop but this is tiring. The office work is very good and they are very understanding. They have no paid work sutiable for me there unfortunatly.
I am not sure what sort of paid job I will do but I would like one at some point in my life.
robyn

Post by robyn »

who have you been to for advise?

could you do other types of charity work (that is paid), like assisting for fund raising? that may entail ofice type work. would the company you volenteer for know about this?

what limitations do you have, and what strengths? Thats the best way to figure out what jobs would suit. doing volantary work or studying in the mean time are fab ways to add to your skills base, good on you! do you have a hobbie you could turn into a job?

If there was a particular line of work you were intrested in you could arrange to shadow some one in that job for a day or two, you'd get a better idea of what it would entail and youd get to know what types of companies are out there and how you could get into them. Most jobs arnt advertised, its best to apply direct to places where youd like to work, so if you figure out what youd enjoy doing then you can put yourself out there for when there are vacancies.

best of luck
Kev
New member - welcome them!

Post by Kev »

Hi there, I am currently out of work myself & have done all sorts of other jobs in the past, as well as going to university. I have one degree, but unfortuately failed my second one due to finding the work placement difficult with my dyspraxia. I went to the jobcentre & was advised to see the Disability Employment Advisor (DEA), who got me in touch with a Workstep Advisor. These have been really helpful in helping me look for work. These advisors write a personal job plan, what goals you hope to achieve etc. They also put you on free training courses if your skills need updating. The best part is, they also ring employers explaining about your disability, so its easier all round if they don't wish to take you on or if they wish to take you on a work trial. [/b]
Meg
Power poster

Post by Meg »

From November 2003 to August 2005 I worked in a day nursery I loved it there and they were really nice, but I decided to go back to college coz I was only a level 2 and really want to work in a school. So I'm now in my final year of The Diploma in Childcare nd Education, I really need to start looking for jobs after Easter!!

Luv Meg
Xxxx