Fatique...

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Jim
Super poster

Fatique...

Post by Jim »

I am so bloomin exhausted it's not even funny. Work has been steadily getting more stressful for quite a while now.

But I am so very tired.. I'm napping soon after getting home, going to bed early and yet still feeling exhausted when I get up in the morning and shattered before I even start my next shift. I have no energy, my appetite is suffering, I'm feeling off colour, the knots in my neck and shoulders are in constant discomfort because of the way my muscles tense and tighten. My motivation has plummetd.

It just all seems to amplify my difficulties and leaves me feeling throughly crap.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
AlleyCat
Power poster

Re: Fatique...

Post by AlleyCat »

Tiredness has got to be one of the worst things about having dyspraxia for me. When I worked as a teaching assistant in a secondary school I frequently went home at the end of the day and crashed out for an hour or so- I found this really frustrating, as I knew that by doing this I was wasting my spare time, but nevertheless I couldn't prevent it. Sometimes I'd get really tired during the day (it was as if a wave of tiredness suddenly descended) and found it hard to concentrate on what was going on around me- this irritated one particular teacher, who said I had to just 'be alert.' I found her comment patronising and aggravating, as tiredness during the day is something I've struggled with for years and does not seem to be something which I can control. I spent much of my secondary school years feeling tired and know I missed out on things as a result- I sometimes even almost fell asleep on my desk, but that had nothing to do with the content of the lesson! Tiredness can be such a barrier to achieving what I want, so I wish more was known about what goes on in the brains of people with dyspraxia, then perhaps something could be done about this particularly annoying symptom.
joy
Power poster

Post by joy »

The wave of tiredness is called reactive hypoglacemia It is because we have underdeveloped reflexes to work are muscles takes much more of an effort which will cause your blood sugar to drop similar to a diabetic only you dont go into a coma , if you carry a healthy snack or banana or take a few minutes break your blood sugar will perk up and you will feel better and less tired the psycholigist my son had told me this so he used to carry a extra banana when at school as he would just feel wiped out at times as I do myself as well.After eating something you do perk up.
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

That would be brilliant if I didn't hate bananas.

I do try to take 5 mins to sneak some toast at work.. But it's not easy.
Creative
Super poster

Post by Creative »

That's interesting but does make sense. Unforunately I don't like bannanas either.
ALADDIN
Power poster

Post by ALADDIN »

I get tired, after driving and manual work.
joy
Power poster

Post by joy »

Doesnt have to be bananas it can be anything its just my sons psycholigist sugested a banana as a healthy snack to avoid putting on weight if you were snacking too much in between meals on unhealthy foods and everytime you felt tired then maybe weight would become a issue.I carry some sugar free sweets everywhere I go they contain fructose which will help bring your energy levels up and are only about nine calories a sweet even a sandwich if there is one available anything as long as its food of sorts .Even if you take a break if its possible for a couple of minutes can have the same efect it just takes a bit longer to feel less tired.
Catwoman42
Power poster

Post by Catwoman42 »

I get this too, thanks for raising it and the great explanantion. I sometimes have a good sleep and just after I get up a wave of tiredness sweeps over me. It isn't tiredness as I have tried to go back to sleep, but I'm not tired. It seems I just need to eat. Thanks again.
Ruth
Power poster

Post by Ruth »

I get very tired too - it's part of the reason i only work part time!! I've discovered a suplement called co-enzyme Q10 which is supposed to help energy transfer within your cells - it seems to work for me but only at a high dose - 200mg/day. My husband took a 30mg one once and was buzzing for hours!!! I'm also semstive to sunshine and need the summer to top up my batteries - this year has been bad for me so far fom a sunshine point of view and I'm feeling kinda low on energy generally.
I always feel better after a holiday...got any of those lined up ??
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

I'm being rotated to night shift for a few weeks in September which will require some upheaval to my current bodyclock, but I'm quite experienced with it. I have a weeks annual leave as well. And if all goes well intend on using to hopefully do some meaningful exercise.
Charlo89
New member - welcome them!

Post by Charlo89 »

Thanks for the advice I tend to suffer with tiredness at certain times when I have worked in the past mornings especially if I started at 7 and by 3 if on early shifts. But also extreme fatigue after running long distances up to 6 miles knackers me for 5 days when I would ideally like to be able to recover in a day or so.
lubellasquee
Getting settled in

Post by lubellasquee »

I tend to feel tired and lose concentration at 3pm every day.
Although my job isn’t particularly demanding (although my role has changed slightly) I still struggle then especially with the heatwave we’ve been having.
SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

Post by SwervingCentaur »

I don't sleep, due to my night terrors, and then have to do an eight-hour shift, where I'm walking around nonstop, and also doing the jobs for another two to three people because they're lazy. I'm actually past caring now.