Youth Work

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

GWhizz
Regular Poster

Youth Work

Post by GWhizz »

Just wondering

I volunteer as a youth worker each week and have been trying to get a paid job in this for sometime. What i'm wondering is, is this a job a dyspraxic person would do

What pros/cons does this give me?
All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you - Gandalf
robyn

Post by robyn »

I work at a residential school with teenagers with behaviour and educational problems. I think dyspraxia is an asset in this kind of job. many of my positive dyspraxic traits, empathy, perseptiveness, creativty, are the qualities that employers in this field look for. they enable me to be a good problem solver, understanding towards the kids (sounds obvious, but is acctually difficult cause our kids are v violent and abusive), adapt my communication skills to their needs and use my own initiative, which is invaluable cause everyday is different in my job. if you feel you do a good job when your volenteering then go for it. entusiasm and a thick skin are also necessary when working with teenagers. Good luck!
GWhizz
Regular Poster

Post by GWhizz »

Hi folks

I went for an interview last week, gave as good as I could was told that it was a good strong interview, told them I had dyspraxia. had trouble in expalining my answers but when it came down to it they were worried that I wouldn't be able explain my ideas with the young people they would like to have another meet to talk about (I think?) on how dyspraxia affects me he said that they took it into account but what did they take into account??? at the moment I am reeling from it. Felt it was mine :*( I have to keep going somehow i'm all out of patience and strength and just finding the power to do this is so hard :*(
All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to you - Gandalf
robyn

Post by robyn »

try pointing out to them that dysraxic problems (like trouble explaining yourself) is more difficult when you're under pressure, explaining stuff to kids is alot less stressful than going for an interview so you'd propbly manage much better then, especially as you already have expierience for your volantary work.
Nicky
Getting settled in

Post by Nicky »

Hi GWhizz,

I was just wondering how your chat went in the end and whether you got the job. Whilst in stressful conditions I also freeze and panic, I work with children with behavioural and educational needs and find communicating with them just fine.

Hope you got the Job,
Nicky.
Trust those searching for the truth, never those who have found it.
GWhizz
Regular Poster

Post by GWhizz »

I'm sorry to say this but i didn't get the job but i'm still going. i'm trying pick myself up and start again. Going to go to recruitment agencies to see what I can get. But like you said when I'm with the young people communicating and I have started an nvq level 2 in youth work and he came over to observe what I do and he said "You have an inate working practice with the young people"
Last edited by GWhizz on Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicky
Getting settled in

Post by Nicky »

That's a shame, but I'm sure you can find something even better! Good luck.
Trust those searching for the truth, never those who have found it.
GiantHam
Getting settled in

Post by GiantHam »

I used to work with youth before i quit because of school and occupational therapy. But I told my boss about my problems and he did not have any problems with it. HE said just let me know what you need and we can see what we can do! I am hoping to go back and volunteer there soon.
How can I tell that the past isn't a fiction designed to account for the discrepancy between my immediate physical sensation and my state of mind?
Douglas Adams