Who do I tell?

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

shadowgirl021
Regular Poster

Who do I tell?

Post by shadowgirl021 »

I start yet another new care job next week, I am not looking forward to it due to previous job experiences but because of those reasons I have decided to actually tell someone that I have Dyspraxia, because it is very noticeable in a workplace. This is the first time I am going to enclose such information (my previous job I guess I told the wrong person, my manager did not know I had it and this upcoming job there was no disability question on the application form). There is a manager of the home I working in after my training and the manager of all the homes who ill be seeing next week to start with.
I guess I tell them both? or just tell the manger ill be working with? I mean being a care home looking after people with learning disabilities they both ought to know what Dyspraxia is, so do I come prepared with information?, and what about adjustments? Adjustments have never been made for be before, saying that I do not know what adjustments could be made, I guess written instructions....
I just really really really want to settle down into this job
Jim
Super poster

Re: Who do I tell?

Post by Jim »

You tell anyone you want to.

And I should think that in many ways you might have more insight into the people you care for than many of your colleagues, more understanding and maybe a more effective strategy.

Good luck!
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
shadowgirl021
Regular Poster

Post by shadowgirl021 »

I think I ought to tell the manager of all the homes.... do not know what she will do though.
But thank you :) I would agree with your first two points to a point due to my work and volunteering with adults who have learning difficulties but still working on the last point.

Thank you again and I guess fingers crossed 8-[ [-o< =D>
Ruth
Power poster

Post by Ruth »

I'm very open with my employers and so far it's worked out well, I ynderstand thsi is not the case for eveyone though.

Often on application forms the question they ask is 'do you consider your self to have a dysability' and I tick no because I don't! I'm just wired up differently. I do however have the information on my CV.

I've also got a word document I put together, mostly from the Dyspraxia Foundation website with a description of the condition and how I'm affected. IIn th epast I've handed this over at the start of the conversation. It very likely that your managers will not know what Dyspraxia is so help them to understand.

good luck
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

The dyspraxicia foundation have put together a document for employers. - I reccomend that you iver buy the pre printed document or just downlode the document, print it out and give it to your emplyers, this will help them understand about dyspraxicia and its effects in the workplace. http://www.dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/s ... roject.php

Personaly for me I consider dyspraxicia to be a dysablitie and would tick the box where it says that you do - this way it leagley shows that you are diffrent and that 'appropte agustments' can be made. If you don't tick this at a interview / when applying or shortly after you get the job you cant expect changes to be made.

If you are going to disclose then its also advisable to write a discloser document which says about your dysablitie (dyspraxicia), how exactly it affects you at work etc but write it in a possitive light as not to make the employers put off.

I would advise agensed putting it on your CV as its not required and would be a hinderance - its only approapte to disclose when you are at the interview stage.
The real Mr Potato Head
AlleyCat
Power poster

Post by AlleyCat »

I think you need to tell both the overall manager of the care homes and your immediate line manager, as these two would no doubt be communicating with each other if there were any problems (hopefully there won't be, but it's better to cover yourself in case there are). If they're awkward when you tell them you have dyspraxia, or seem clueless, then you need to provide them with more information about it. Hopefully they'll want to help, but if they were still being awkward, then you could get someone from Key 4 Learning to speak to them on your behalf- their web address is http://www.key4learning.com
shadowgirl021
Regular Poster

Post by shadowgirl021 »

Thank you all for the advice :D

That was a thought I was pondering, is Dyspraxia actually considered a disability? and if so should I disclose it. I dont know if it is considered a disability but I do now enclose the information on an application form and not on my CV. I think that could be slightly off putting. Unfortunately there was no "have you got a disability question" so I could not write "actually I have this" But based on the advice given, I shall tell my overall manager on Monday armed with information and I hope she knows what it is. It would be just my luck that when I finally disclose such information I would have to explain my self. I have been so lucky with the people who I have told have all said "yes I have heard of Dyspraxia and with my previous manager saying she could have helped me but that was my fault of not disclosing at the time.

Thank you all again and hope Monday goes well