How do I find and keep a job?

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

Kenny
New member - welcome them!

How do I find and keep a job?

Post by Kenny »

I have recently turned thirty, and I am aware that I have not managed to keep hold of any job for very long. My longest job lasted seven months. I have had all sorts of bullying and abuse, and I don't know if I have the energy to look for more work.

I have worked in factories, kitchens, offices, warehouses, shops, restaurants, gardens and other places too, and I have yet to find a workplace that can provide more than minimal support for me. I have been diagnosed with Dyspraxia and ADHD. And I possibly have dyslexia and some form of autism too.

I don't really want to list my gripes, I just want to be open.

Does anyone have any useful advise?

I have a DEA and a caseworker with Work Choice (Scope). I am expecting feedback from the work psychologist I saw recently. I am trying to be optimistic that these people will help me, but I've been dissapointed so many times before, I don't want to rest all my hopes in them.

I also recently applied for another gardening job, so wish me luck.

I might also be going back to Piccadilyl Support Services on tuesday, and meet the new people that started recently. I work there as a Volunteer Support Worker. I love being there, but I really want to earn money and get off benefits.

Any constructive advice will be welcomed.
dobbinhun

Re: How do I find and keep a job?

Post by dobbinhun »

A big thing to remember is: copy everyone else. With effects of Aspergers creeping into Dyspraxics, it's really hard to judge the general feeling in the office, group, corridor, with clients, whether you may be. Just try and mirror how people say things in different situations, always smile and say hello to everyone you see, and just try and be happy.

Hope this helps!
BMB

Post by BMB »

I agree with what dob is saying. I've made big mistakes at the workplace and I was surprised to have lasted at one job for two whole years. I work at a bowling alley and noticed that I've become a bit of an a-hole to customers and that's definitely not the thing to do. I think, in addition to what was already said, don't be stingy or strict. I read that being very positive and optimistic helps out in the end.

EDIT: I think admitting some mistakes also helps out too.
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

I dont have much advice I can really give you as I am off work myself and are trying to get back to work etc.

The things that could be of intrest are:
- Check out the Shaw trust - they help people with dysablities get back / into employment.
- Try voltering at charity shops and see how that goes wile trying to find paid work - volentery work can serve as a test run to paid work.

I hope the gardening work goes ok, I am doing some gardening / odd jobs for some people and that helps me as I can just get on with it myself and how I want to do it etc (as long as the job gets done of course).
The real Mr Potato Head
Kenny

Post by Kenny »

Update:

I went back to Piccadilly Support Servicesand loved it, it is a horticulture-based support service for those with needs where I am a Volunteer Suport Worker. Technically that job had lasted alkmost 3 years, but it's a small company and I doubt any paid jobs will appear there anytime soon.

I so got an interview with the council for that gardening position, wish me luck.

Tim: that's why I love what I' doing, there is little or no pressure at PSS to stick to a schedule so I can do things my own way, and have led on projects and done great things there. Sometimes I think of it as employment therapy :-) They have also put me through several courses

BMB: I fully admit I've made mistakes at work in the past, and (despire my fiorst message) I generala positive and optimistic person. It's just that I getsick of being unemployed when mos my friends are not.

Dob: Please tell me more about "effects of Aspergers creeping into Dyspraxics" as I think this effects me

yours,
Kenny
Dishwasher
Getting settled in

Post by Dishwasher »

In my experience my reactions to the ways that dyspraxia and ADHD affected my life were sometimes misinterpreted as symptoms of autism. I think this is the case with most people who think they might have Aspergers as well as dyspraxia.
robertstreem

Post by robertstreem »

Now internet through we can get any kind of information, for job also there are many website available for the job like nokari.com, shine.com, monstor.com ext. This all website best for the find any kind of bog.

<a href="http://www.workathomelasvegas.com">work at home las vegas</a>
<a href="http://www.workathomelasvegas.com">work at home las vegas</a>
welshtyke
Getting settled in

Post by welshtyke »

I would say you need to consider the type of job you are looking for. (this sounds really crap because you are probably doing this already). But I would say look for the most creative job you can find.
Tokis86
Getting settled in

Post by Tokis86 »

I would recommend doing volunteer work.
You can do almost any kind of work in volunteer work and not only does it look great on your CV, but it's SOOO much less pressurized (for example if you feel that you can't make it in one day, you can just phone up and explain and nobody will berate you for coming in or stop you from being a volunteer). This way, you can actually fall back in love with working again, building up your confidence & self-esteem, as when you do volunteer work you don't have all the stresses, responsibilities & restrictions that come with doing paid work ^_^v .