Good tips for interviews anyone?

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

SomeT
Regular Poster

Good tips for interviews anyone?

Post by SomeT »

Got a few interviews coming up, anyone got any good tips?
Ruth
Power poster

Post by Ruth »

yes loads! just to be nosey what are you applying for?

So on with the tips ,ahem, biggest is be calm - do everything you can to be calm - know where you're going check the journey time do a dummy run if it helps.

Do your home work - look at their web site so you can comment on it's strenghths and weaknesses - phone them and ask for any literatre they can send you and get to know the receptionists name, then there will be someone there you know a bit!! helps me :-s Get you're answers to the obvious down pat - What are your greatest strenghts and weaknesses?, why do you want this job? why should we give it to you? What could you bring to the role?, prepare as much as you can. there are some good books in the library with hard questions and good answers really worth a look.

May be a girl thing but spend time working out your wardrobe, wear something you feel fabulous in! I like the excuse to buy a new outfit - taylor what you wear to the sort of company it is and the role you're up for - me it was always suits. and have it clean and ready a few days before hand.

Take a copy of your c.v. with you and any company literature to read it they keep you waiting

my big thing is nerves and so everything I do for preparation is to keep mecalm - Every interview I've been to has resulted in a job offerso I think I'm fairly good at it 8-[ but the more you do the better you get at it so if you don't get job offers review your tactics but don't worry, it'll preparation for that perfect job

good luck with it and let us know how it goes - hope someone else has more tips for you.
SomeT
Regular Poster

Post by SomeT »

Ok, thanks a lot, i'm mostly applying for customer service roles on telephones etc...
Ruth
Power poster

Post by Ruth »

I like customer services - it's great when someone phones to say thanks you did a good job! warm glowy feeling - makes up for all the other idiiots!! \:D/
SomeT
Regular Poster

Post by SomeT »

lol
david456
Power poster

Post by david456 »

Sound advice from Ruth.
Ruth
Power poster

Post by Ruth »

thought of some mmore!! your body language says alot about you, the way you sit in the chair is quite impertant esp. in panel interviews. I used to practice in front of the mirror I'd sit in a chair till it looked right and then get up and walk back to the chair and put my hand on the back then sit down with my eyes closed ( logic being if I can do it with my eyes closed then I can do it easily with my eyes open)assume the position and then open my eyes to check - took a while but it worked in the end.

you need to be upright but not stiff - hands in lap not arms crossed - feet together and on the floor -leaning forward slightly and smile.

having said all this I started my latest interview by only just catching the chair with my bum on the way down ( sooo nearly sat on the floor) and ended up side ways on in the chair, legs crossed with my ankle on my knee armm slung over the back of the chair gesticulating wildly with my other arm!! but I remembered what I was supposed to be doing and shuffled back into position - and got the job.
SomeT
Regular Poster

Post by SomeT »

Good tips on sitting on the chair right, I always find putting my hands in my lap difficult as I get easily ajutated and start to fidget, also just wondering you was saying about customer service in that post above Ruth, and I was just wondering have you ever been asked the following in an interview: Can you give me an example of when you have given good customer service?

I always seem to get asked this but my words get jumbled up and I can not manage to give one or think of one on the spot in one linear clear sentence?
Greg
Power poster

Post by Greg »

For tough interviews it helps to have a friend who knows how to be merciless. To put someone in a tight spot just to watch them squirm.

Then get them to do dummy interviews with you. Once you can handle anything they throw your way an actual interviewer (most of whom are nice, unless you get me) is a peice of cake.
Ruth
Power poster

Post by Ruth »

yup figuring out the answers to hard questions is good preparation - if in the interview you freeze you could say 'I'm sorry I can't think of a good example right now can we come back to that later?'.

I think we as dyspraxics need to work for enlightened employers who strive to enable their staff to achieve and perform to their full potential. Often we need a little bit of time and space in order to do that. If they're not prepared to do that for you in the interview then perhaps they are not the sort of people you will enjoy working for.

As for a good example can you think of a time when you helped out someone in a 'customer service ' kind of way and they were really chuffed and said thankyou so much?? what sort of experience do you have in this area? and what is it that makes you want to do it full time? they will probably ask these things so be prepared -

However a friend went for an interview for HMV and one of her interview qu's was ' What's your favourite type of jam??' so who knows. \:D/
SomeT
Regular Poster

Post by SomeT »

fave type of Jam, that is a weird question based on music. Anyway thanks for all the info everyone.