Stress in the workplace... increased symptoms?

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

gypzymoth
New member - welcome them!

Stress in the workplace... increased symptoms?

Post by gypzymoth »

Hi all,

A small introduction - I am 37, have dyscalculia and dyslexia. I think I have always had dyspraxia but am undiagnosed.

Despite the above I became a professionaly qualified individual and managed oddly to be totally focussed while at work and sysmtom free and which in my opinion 'saves it up' for when at home.

The reason I have joined today is because I am worried as my dyspraxia symptoms seems to have gotten worse and now is manifesting at work.

Presently I have been going through a very upsetting time, redundancy, housing problems, relationship turmoil and money issues.

Can stress exacerbate the symptoms?
Osymandus
Power poster

Re: Stress in the workplace... increased symptoms?

Post by Osymandus »

Yes there is a direct link between stress and your neurological conditions . In normal situations stress can inhibit your ability to think anyway , if your processes are made worse by extra stress on top.
ishi
Getting settled in

Post by ishi »

Stress is definitely a factor when trying to keep on top of everything.

Prof Paul Gerber reckons that being in control is one of the most important things for dyslexics/dyspraxics. If you're having problems at home and work then this is a real issue because there's no where to escape to/from. Unfortunately other than lowering your stress I'm not sure what you can do to help.

How supportive is your employer?
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi there Gypzymoth

I definitely find that when I'm stressed my dyspraxic tendencies are more pronounced and vice versa. It's a nasty vicious circle!

I'd been managing to keep it together at work and it wasn't really a problem until I found I was being pushed beyond my limits and started blaming myself more and more for stuff both at and outside of work.

Plenty of people on here to lend a sympathetic ear/eye. Hope we can help feel free to have a rant if that helps.

All the best

Tom
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
cazzzzy
Getting settled in

Post by cazzzzy »

hi,
i find my dyspraxia and dyslexia get worse when im stressed !,it can make work more stressfull too,when i work in the office i find this difficult as there is lots of back ground noise which is very distracting and causes my stress,but when im doing support work i cope better,but funny enough i managed to get my assistant team manager post last year,which i had avioded for year as i didnt feel clever enough and im doin a good job ,also my manager has dyslexia so we help each other :banana: