Job interview...

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

meow
Regular Poster

Job interview...

Post by meow »

I have a job interview for a work placement for my third year in university. I am soo nervous. Its on Monday and I have to do a presentation, and a written test as well as the interview. I'm SO nervous. I'm worried about everything, including finding the place. :(
agsiul
Power poster

Re: Job interview...

Post by agsiul »

meow wrote:I have a job interview for a work placement for my third year in university. I am soo nervous. Its on Monday and I have to do a presentation, and a written test as well as the interview. I'm SO nervous. I'm worried about everything, including finding the place. :(
Ok first things first...do a dummy run so you know exactly where you are going. Nothing worse than turning up late on the day because they won't be impressed and youll be stressed out. See exactly how long it takes and give yourself a lot of extra time to get there. Find out if there is a café near by that you could sit in if you are not driving so that you have somewhere to go while you are waiting. maybe just order a bottle of water so that you have something bouthg there.

What kind of presentation do you have to do? Do you have to use something like Powerpoint. I find this brillianat because it makes people look at the screen. I can write points on it so that I don't forget what I want to say and I can impresse them with my computer skills!

Can you find out anything about the company before you go so that you can prepare for the interview? Do you know what kind of skills they want?
meow
Regular Poster

Post by meow »

Thank you for the advice :)

I've checked Google maps about a billion times. I've been to the area before but I haven't been to the building. I also have some ones number to phone if I get lost.. I should be okay. Hopefully.

Unfortunately you aren't allowed any aids apart from cards to right points on.. which is annoying because I'd love to do a power point! :( I'll just have to practice.. a lot. At the moment I keep stammering and I'm only practising it to myself. =/
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

You should be fine getting there but give yourself plenty of time. When I was in college and we'd be doing teaching practice we'd practice the stuff in front of each other and in front of the mirror We had to get the don't mess with me look right because we were going to really rough schools. It helped. Maybe you could tape yourself on a video and watch yourself. It's not as nerve racking and you can where you are going wrong on aren't clear without someone picking holes in what you are doing and making you more nervous. Then you can practice in front of someone you know maybe.
meow
Regular Poster

Post by meow »

I did the interview and it was awful . :(
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

Don't let it get to you. I have to do a few interivews before the one I really need to do because I make a haimse of them and need to thik about what i've done wrong so that I wont' do it the next time. See if you can think about what didn't go well
Jpowls
Getting settled in

Post by Jpowls »

I really really hate job interviews (along with the whole job application process). I hate everything about it, finding the place, wearing formal clothes (especially shirt and ties) and the nerves of trying to make a good impression.

I went for an Interview recently. I thought it went really well. I thought I was very articulate, flouent and through. I talked about what I had done in past jobs in improving practice and analysing problems, then implementing solutions.

I didn't get the job and when I got feedback I was told that I spoke too fast and shouldn't be focussed on overall practice only doing my job. It just made me very confused.
AlleyCat
Power poster

Post by AlleyCat »

Employers can be such jerks. I know exactly what you mean about thinking you've done well at interview, then finding out that the interviewers weren't particularly impressed. I've had numerous interviews for teaching posts, and interviewers seem to come out with a different excuse every time for me not being the successful one. I think employers should definitely make allowances for someone with dyspraxia not coming across particularly well at interview- after all, dyspraxia can affect anything to do with the way we move and speak, so it's extremely difficult for us to fit in with the so-called 'norm' in how we come across!
GerardSmith
New member - welcome them!

Post by GerardSmith »

Practice makes perfect (or at least leads to improvement). Practice with a friend and record or videotape your responses so you can replay the interview and see how well you did. Prepare answers to commonly asked interview questions. Doing so will help you analyze your background and qualifications for the position.
JamesWebb

Post by JamesWebb »

Don't be afraid, just attend it. Good luck!
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

It's a shame that the interview dident go ok, ask for some feebback from the intervewers - this could help for next time.
It does seam quite a lot of work for a interview though, if it is this much effort and you struggle then mabie ask yourself if this job was for you in the first place.
The real Mr Potato Head
KerriM

Post by KerriM »

Jpowls wrote:I really really hate job interviews (along with the whole job application process). I hate everything about it, finding the place, wearing formal clothes (especially shirt and ties) and the nerves of trying to make a good impression.

I went for an Interview recently. I thought it went really well. I thought I was very articulate, flouent and through. I talked about what I had done in past jobs in improving practice and analysing problems, then implementing solutions.

I didn't get the job and when I got feedback I was told that I spoke too fast and shouldn't be focussed on overall practice only doing my job. It just made me very confused.
Hi everyone. I'm new to forum and I am so relieved to find people who understand what it feels like to have dyspraxia! The post above is exactly how I am feeling at the moment. Went for an interview - prepared as much as I could in the time I've had. I tried to keep my nerves under control but mouth went so dry. I didn't think it had gone too bad but then I got the dreaded phone call to say I hadn't been successful (fair enough - there could br a number of reason ) but then she seemed really keen to give me feedback as if I was in desperate need of it :( saying they had some really useful hints to help me progress (I felt like saying it's alright knowing what I should do, it is a bit different putting it into practice :rolleyes: ). I'm meant to call her back tomorrow and I know I should take the feedback but I don't have a lot of confidence as it and I think all it will do is knock it even more and then I'll be even more nervous in interviews. It always seems to end up this way - if I'm lucky enough to get an interview I get my hopes up that practice will make perfect and this time might be different but then the phone call comes and hopes are dashed again - I know that is even more reason to get the feedback but I really don't think it will help. Right now I feel like I'm going to be stagnating in my current job forever after working so hard to get a degree :( .