Interview nightmares

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

carpe
New member - welcome them!

Interview nightmares

Post by carpe »

Hi there everyone!

I am new to this forum, and was really wondering what other dyspraxics have experienced at interviews. Over the last year I have been applying for jobs, and have not recieved one job offer. Recently I have been crying over every interview rejection, as it appears to be getting more hopeless for me!

I am a 26 f and just cannot get through interviews, I know the answers in my mind, but my mind goes blank in the interview, I dont know if anyone else experiences this? My language skills get muddled and I do no justice to myself whatsoever. the more i practice the worse i perform in the interview! any suggestions?

do you think this is a dyspraxic issue, or just individual problem? Thanks x
maria
Regular Poster

Re: Interview nightmares

Post by maria »

The very fact you're actually being selected for an interview means you're already doing a lot right. The vast majority of job applicants are lucky if they even hear back from the company they've applied to!

When you walk into the room for your interview, smile. It's a reflex action for people to smile back so the interviewer/s will and the atmosphere will be more relaxed and friendly. Explain you feel nervous, just in one small sentence. Usually an interviewer will ask how you are, smile and say "A bit nervous!" They'll usually say something reassuring like "No need to be". ( It's very, very normal to be nervous at interviews, dyspraxic or not.) If you do get tongue-tied with an answer, say "Sorry, I get tongue tied when I'm nervous."

Never, ever arrive late. If you are for reasons beyond your control eg bus breakdown apologise and explain. Make sure you have any relevant documents with you eg references. At the end of the interview, smile and say "thank you". And bear in mind something that might shock you: a friend of mine, also in a managerial role, occasionally has to interview people and says he always gets very nervous before he interviews people! :grin: That did surprise me when he told me (he's an ultra-confident person) so just think - those people doing the interviewing are no doubt suffering from nerves too! :grin:
Magic_Lemur
Regular Poster

Post by Magic_Lemur »

Good advice - especially with the 'be on time' thing - the number of times I've lost good opportunities that way...

I find interviews horrendous. I even had one where everything went perfect (which is very, VERY rare with dyspraxia) & I swear the interviewer didn't call me because of it - grrr!

That said, if you have a genuine passion for the job & have researched it like you would a girl/boy friend you love, then the interview should be easy.

In the words of Henry David Thoreau: “If one advances confidently in the direction of one's dreams, and endeavors to live the life which one has imagined, one will meet with a success unexpected in common hours.”
"But only 1 in 10 survives all danger.
When walking thru the jungle,..
He never fears tigers
as there's no place to sink his claws,...

This is the fulfilled person of the Tao
who has no mortal spot."

Tao Te Ching Verse 50
Tangle
New member - welcome them!

Post by Tangle »

How I manage to get through interviews:

1) Don't Panic
2) Preparation, preparation, preparation... Research the company, do a test run to the building do you know where it is, and don't get lost (ha! If you're like me you'd still manage to get lost). Prepare answers to the most common questions ("what are your weaknesses and how do you overcome them?" "Give an example of working in a team" etc...) Arrive Early!
3) Don't Panic
4) Don't set your heart on the job. Go in confident, but remembering it's all experience and there's always something out there.
5) Make small talk. Show yourself to be human, comment on a painting, the building, the weather or whatever when you go in, or as you're being shown in. It'll help to relax you as well as showing you're human and personable.
6) Always, always have questions prepared. They always ask you if you have any questions, ask them! E.g. "How many people are you interviewing?" "When will i find out?" "Who would I be working with?" "How many people are in the company?". Prepare a couple as they'll invariably answer ones you've planned before you can ask them!
7) If you do walk into something, or do something dyspraxic. Just laugh about it, don't let it get to you. I once walked into a water cooler in an interview! I just laughed and said it was nerves!
8) Take your time. Don't feel rushed to answer questions. I clam up completely in interviews. If you have some things prepared it'll help...But If they ask you a question and you need time to formulate an answer so it doesn't end up some babbled incoherent thing then tell them. Just say, "Sorry, can you give me a minute to answer". If you feel like you're doing this too much, then if you feel confident with it, explain you're dyspraxic and need a minute to formulate your answers in your head when you're nervous.
9) If you feel like you'll do something idiotic or dyspraxic then don't accept a drink. Often they'll offer you some water or coffee. I always decline as i'm worried i'll knock it over or something.
10) Lastly, thank them once you're done. Smile. Small talk on your way out if you can.

I hope this helps, and Good Luck :D