Manager patronise me..

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

vk0111
New member - welcome them!

Manager patronise me..

Post by vk0111 »

Hi everyone, my name is Vik. It's nice to meet you all!

I have dyspraxia (and mild dyslaxia), and I've been told this is why I'm so clumsy and forgetful. I also take longer to read and process information. I've just started my first job since graduating last year, and because my degree mainly involved assignments, therefore sufficient time to plan my work, I never had to rush a task or force myself to process information quickly.

My current role is one I have obtained through a temp agency, and it's mainly processing invoices and data entry. (a lot of repititive work). When I was interviewed for my job I did mention that I am dyspraxic, so she is aware.

But here's the problem. Recently, she has been losing her temper because the invoices aren't being processed quickly enough. I tried to do speed up, but then I started to miss things out and make silly mistakes. She then picks faults in my work, and gives me this look as though I'm the stupidest person in the world (like a shocked look), and asks me why I made this mistake (rhetorically). I don't get it, because in our performance meetings she's been praising my ideas and offering to make me permanent. What do I do? I work really hard, but there seems to be no way out of this. Any advice would be much appreciated :S
Ldyalb
Regular Poster

Re: Manager patronise me..

Post by Ldyalb »

Hello Vik!

Is she a bit short with everyone? My boss is a knob (doesn't know I'm dyspraxic, if he did I suspect I'd be fired on the spot (he refuses to hire non white people (every Asian person who's applied to us - at least 10 in the month I've been there, probs more cuz I'm only in 4 days - hasn't even been considered) so I'm guessing he's not overly tolerant of disabilities either) but he's also equally a knob to everyone so I know to try not to take it too personally. Even when he's shouting at me because I'm struggling to butter bread with a rock solid block of butter straight from the fridge... If she's short with everyone I'd say that would explain things. Maybe just quietly remind her of your Dyspraxia next time? If she's only short with you then I'm not so sure, maybe gently remind her of the Dyspraxia and then if it continues consider talking to HR? Hopefully someone else can advise you better on that front. Good luck!
Dyspraxia - Dx Jan 2010, borderline ASD as well plus strong Dyscalculia overlap.

Fibromyalgia - Dx Jan 2011.
Hypermobility - Dx April 2011
Willis-Ekbom Disease - Dx November 2011

I also have Eczema, Rosacea and Trichitollomania. Oh joy :)
maria
Regular Poster

Post by maria »

Hi Vik

You could try explaining that anxiety makes your condition worse, say you've been worried about not doing as good a job as you want to, and ask if she could suggest anything that would help. (Maybe her own boss has been getting on her back about something and that's the reason for her change in attitude?)

Look for areas that might help too. If you need to date-stamp invoices when they're processed, for instance, it would be quicker if you just ticked a corner with a pen and date-stamped them all together later. Try not to keep loads of unnecessary paperwork on your desk; it saves time when looking for things. If you must keep it there, put a note on top of the pile, write a memo and keep the pile secured with something heavy/if it's a single document write a memo and staple it on, don't use a post-it pad or paper clip, they come apart too easily. Are there people in your office who do similar work? You could ask advice on some things, they might know quicker, more efficient methods, people often do when they've worked somewhere for years. (eg I've discovered I don't have to type in all the zeroes on my computer if the amount is a round figure, if I type £15 it automatically converts to £15.00; £225 becomes £225.00 etc. I do loads of data input so saves loads of time!

Finally, keep a notebook (not a tiny one, lost too easily) and write anything you think you might need to remember: contact phone numbers; computer passwords; reminder to do something etc.

Hope you find the suggestions useful. :)
vk0111
New member - welcome them!

Post by vk0111 »

Hi Ldyalb and Maria,

Thanks for your advice, it was really helpful :)

The other problem I forgot to mention is that this has started to annoy my colleagues (only the older ones). because my role is to support 5 people and input data for each of their contracts. One of coworkers took a call yesterday from her client who pointed out that some data wasn't inputted correctly. My coworker was repeating out loud what her client said (at least 3 times) that it was inputted incorrectly, as though she wanted everyone in the office to hear that I made a mistake :(

Ldyalb - my boss is an absolute nightmare! If anyone makes a mistake, she really loses it , but the problem is I make more mistakes than every one else. I'm apprehensive about disclosing my condition, as I'm still a temp and I don't want to lose my job. I remember in the original person spec. it said fast and accurate key board skills, so she might hold that against me. 8-[ I like your idea about speaking to HR, I might make an anonymous phone call for some advice.

Maria - It''s funny you mention that, my desk is so messy - my boss had a go at me about it last week #-o
My co-workers do similar work, but they tend do things quickly and accurately, without having to check their work. They take the same approach as me, but are more efficient. I think you're right about keeping a note book - at the moment I have 100s of post it notes stuck on my monitor :)