Business Administration

Discussions relating to jobs and working, including finding work, interviews, the work place etc.

Moderator: Moderator Team

jmlc451
New member - welcome them!

Business Administration

Post by jmlc451 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:24 am

Has anyone hear ever worked in an office doing Business Admin? I'm considering applying for an apprenticeship at a nearby company. Naturally, I have anxieties about it though. God knows what challenges I will face.

A concern I have is that I will a) tell the employers that my Dyspraxia isn't completely negative b) they will be sold and hire me c) But I will end up being super slow on the job, and oop they fire me

Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Re: Business Administration

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:47 pm

I was a bank clerk from 1965 to 1973 doing all sorts of tasks then after a two year training programme a social worker/probation officer from 1975 - 2003. I was active in my trade union and when the admin demands increased in about 2002 I needed help because I was not able to adapt to being self administrating and that led to early retirement.

Unfortuantely I did not suspect I was dyspraxic until 1999 and then had difficuly adapting to that knowledge myself and gaining support from my employer.

I wonder whether you might have some sort of job test before you go right into it, ...... but it also depends on whether you have work now - if not I wonder whether you have got anything to lose by giving it a go.

The equalities legislation gives some protection to folk with a disability like dyspraxia but that requires declaring it.

Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod » Fri Sep 07, 2018 10:32 pm

jmlc451 wrote:
Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:24 am
Has anyone hear ever worked in an office doing Business Admin? I'm considering applying for an apprenticeship at a nearby company. Naturally, I have anxieties about it though. God knows what challenges I will face.

A concern I have is that I will a) tell the employers that my Dyspraxia isn't completely negative b) they will be sold and hire me c) But I will end up being super slow on the job, and oop they fire me

Yes

Most Admin will involve maintaining records, processing requests/orders and probably answering enquiries by email and/or telephone. You need to be able to do follow instructions and retain info but if you can convey a) that you are willing to learn and b) with a little help can develop strategies that enable to carry out your duties, you may be able to convince them to give you a chance.Declaring Dyspraxia is a tricky thing as you will often have to explain it to employers who have little knowledge and you need to be able to explain the positives (loyalty and determination and a new way/unique different approach to problems while also explaining areas where you need a bit of additional support and flexibility from them to enable you to produces the desired end result for them.

SCOPE have resources about declaring disability/difficulty and asking for reasonable adjustments.
https://www.scope.org.uk/Support/Disabl ... ts/at-work
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)

Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:21 am

I think the Dyspraxia Foundation have various information sheets suitable for employers, it could be worth contacting them.

Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton » Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:21 am

I think the Dyspraxia Foundation have various information sheets suitable for employers, it could be worth contacting them.