Adult Fiction

Non-dyspraxic chat about anything under the sun

Moderator: Moderator Team

mattie
Regular Poster

Re: Adult Fiction

Post by mattie »

You've got some classics in their Mattie! Glad to see you're enjoying The Dark materials trilogy. I was so disappointed they cut the last third of the book out of the film!

Have you ever read any Neil Gaiman books? You might enjoy Neverwhere and American Gods, the later is a blend of fantasy and mythology - if you've got the stomach for LOTR, and the plot of Dark materials, I think you'll handle that okay. ;)
Thanks. Will give them a try at some point. :) :D

Mattie.
Creative
Super poster

Post by Creative »

I have read Coraline by Neil Gaiman. I was very disappointed. I haven't seen the film yet. Has anyone else seen it?
rosie3
New member - welcome them!

Post by rosie3 »

I have read The Human Past too. Brilliant. You are not doing World Archaeology on an OU Course by any chance are you? I thoroughly enjoyed it.

gherkin001 wrote:Im currently reading a VERY heavy book entitled : "The Human Past : World Prehistory and the Development of Human Societies".

Kirsty
gherkin001
Super poster

Post by gherkin001 »

No Rosie, lol im just one of these extremely sad people that reads hefty material lol

Kirsty
DySpRaXiA dOeSnT mAkE lIfE hArDeR, jUsT mOrE cOmPlIcAtEd.
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

I'm not an especially prolific reader, unlike my other half who consumes books within a few days and having bought Deathly Hallows on the midnight of its release finished it the same day! I, alas, take things at a rather more sedate pace and generally read at speaking rate, so it takes me a while to get through books.

After reading this recent news story on the BBC website http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8107487.stm it reminded me to look into getting checked out for Irlen's syndrome/scotopic sensitivity, as reading about it and see simulations of it on related websites I'm sure that's what I have. It makes it difficult to read and keep track of words you're reading as the areas around the words moves. As a result I sometimes resort to listening to audio books to take in literature I'm interested in. Most of the time I read non-fiction about travel and areas that interest me as I find if they really engage me it assists in concentrating on the words before me.
RobP85
New member - welcome them!

Post by RobP85 »

I love reading but like others I find I can become engrossed in a story to the point that I can miss meals, not hear people speaking to me and even forget to sleep.

On a small aside, has anyone else read Twilight, is it just me or does Bella swan strike you as Dyspraxic?
lauraECFan
Power poster

Post by lauraECFan »

I love to read and one series i got particurly engrossed in was the earths children series (Clan of the Cave Bear, The Valley of Horses, The Mammoth Hunters, The Plains of Passage, The Shelters of Stone and The Land of Painted Caves) I admit the last one is slightly disappointing but they are all good in general though there are frequent detailed sex scenes (Valley of Horses through to Shelters of Stone) The others have only a couple in. I recommend these books and if you decide to read them the first one takes about 2-3 chapters to actually get into the story but from then on it is very interesting as it reveal how people may have lived in the last ice age.
Animal lover forever
Bookworm forever
Live for today :)
if you have a dream chase it catch it and never let go of it
Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd »

Terry Pratchett be awesome !! :) Just finished reading the fifth elephant, brilliant !!
Hes a got the combination of humor, intrigue and action just right and his works are the best bed time relaxation read I know of.
As to what other fiction Id suggest that depends on your preferred genre if your looking for fantasy I always tend to go down the David Gemmal route, for sci/fi the late great Phillip K Dick and for horror good ole Steven King.
Just finished reading the Black Tower series and I can finally see what all the fuss was about although it probably didn't help that I read them out of order #-o :) .
Still there's still a lot to be said for so called children books, finished reading White Fang for the first time in about 20 years and it as good now as it was when I was ten.
shadowgirl021
Regular Poster

Post by shadowgirl021 »

I know this post is quite old but I love reading books and I think people are divided, when it comes to reading books.
I personally love any almost any Stephen King book especially, Salem's Lot, The Stand, IT and The Shining, Rebecca is a good novel and The Cider House Rules by John Irving which is the first book I have read in all my life to make me laugh out loud, gasp and be upset for the characters, saying that, The world according to Garp is also very good, written by the same author.
screengreen
Power poster

Post by screengreen »

I love reading but have trouble with glare so either read with my Wacky green glassed (they really do stop the text moving) through a plastic overlay or with mininmal lighting ( my 5 watt energy saving bulb is good!).... if you want to find out if coloured overlays would help you could pay £100 and get an irlen assessment or you could pay £10 and get a set of coloured reading rulers from the dyslexia shop.
rodge1991
Getting settled in

Post by rodge1991 »

I still read books aimed at teenagers because I believe they are written better like:
The Power of Five and Alex Rider series (both by Anthony Horowitz)
However here are some books that I got into easily that are aimed at adults:

Incompetence by Rob Grant
Carrie by Stephen King
War of the Worlds (H.G.Wells) {I will say that this is a tricky book in the sense it's fairly old, however my version comes with a chapter at the end that explains confusing things the crop up within the book}

It goes without saying that I just love reading :grin:
Visit my Dyspraxia Blog! www.DyspraxicFantastic.com
If you have a blog then I will be glad to link yours onto mine and vice versa! just give me a message