Fighting sports

Non-dyspraxic chat about anything under the sun

Moderator: Moderator Team

Xam
Getting settled in

Fighting sports

Post by Xam » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:36 pm

Does anyone around here is a practicioner of (a) fighting sport(s) / martial arts ? If so, how do you cope it/them with your dyspraxia ? Which one would you recommand me ?
I've been really interested in Hapkido those last monthes, some kind of corean mix between self-defense and taekwondo. I'd love kicking people in the face, and I'm pretty tall with pretty long legs, so kicks-oriented martial arts are more appealing to me. But I'm pretty open as long as you can hit people.
What I'm aiming through that : a way to do some cool moves in moshpits, spending my nerves, empowering myself.

Submit your knoweldge/ideas/opinions !

SwervingCentaur
Regular Poster

Re: Fighting sports

Post by SwervingCentaur » Mon Apr 02, 2018 11:31 pm

I use to boxing when I was younger. We used to spar with my friends at the local boxing gym, I was quite good, I'm small, so i move around rather easy, and I'm quite technical in my head, so I was always trying to guess when the next punch was coming, didn't take up boxing as a kid, put on a lot weight since, thinking about doing it again.

Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:39 pm

Xam wrote:. . . I'd love kicking people in the face, and I'm pretty tall with pretty long legs, so kicks-oriented martial arts are more appealing to me. But I'm pretty open as long as you can hit people.
What I'm aiming through that : a way to do some cool moves in moshpits, spending my nerves, empowering myself.
You might feel like you are empowering yourself but might this have the potential to be seen quite differently by others!

I stay out of the pit myself, but at Bloodstock the other year, someone I know had to punch someone who was using the pit as an excuse to hit people. When sparring getting hit is to be expected and I appreciate pits can get boisterous but people aren't there to get a bloody nose or facial injuries, are they?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)

Xam
Getting settled in

Post by Xam » Sat Apr 07, 2018 11:57 pm

Tom fod wrote:
Xam wrote:. . . I'd love kicking people in the face, and I'm pretty tall with pretty long legs, so kicks-oriented martial arts are more appealing to me. But I'm pretty open as long as you can hit people.
You might feel like you are empowering yourself but might this have the potential to be seen quite differently by others!

I stay out of the pit myself, but at Bloodstock the other year, someone I know had to punch someone who was using the pit as an excuse to hit people. When sparring getting hit is to be expected and I appreciate pits can get boisterous but people aren't there to get a bloody nose or facial injuries, are they?
Well it's half of an exageration : HxC pits tends to be more violent than in Metal's one. Even then, it's usually pretty chill there in France, and it's overall a good-natured atmosphere (not as true when it comes to Germany's or Belgium's pit culture for instance). So in truth, I'm not intending to act as a bully during gigs (or like some people say, "crowdkill").
But as a matter of fact, such a manly (virilist ?) environment isn't neutral at all even when people don't hit themselves : those who are capable of "dancing" and stuff will be rewarded, others (i.e. us, systemically) won't.

I'm a bit tired of being an unable Goliath (tall guy, I told you), surrounded by abled Davids whom tries to settle their inferiority complex in a personnal way with me. I'm pretty tired of being questionned as why am I not doing sobat kicks during some gigs while the very same people can't see the privilege they have over me to even manage to two-step and enjoy the night without questioning.
Basically, even to know I could be capable (while I would be capabale of) to do such stuff would be enough for me. And if it helps to control my body to something close as they do, well it's a plus.

Not sure if everything in here is clear.

So anyway, I've been working out seriously again lately, after a 6 month stop. When I'll be ready enough, I'll go for it.

Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:26 am

Thanks for the clarification. I take your point about some peope trying to make it a competition and your wanting to fit in!

http://www.allthelyrics.com/lyrics/bria ... 66198.html
See spoken word section
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.

Xam
Getting settled in

Post by Xam » Sun Apr 08, 2018 6:43 pm

Barf, not a big fan of those lyrics (especially the "gaytarded" and "mexican") part. I get the irony though.

It's about fitting in indeed, but really also about being empowered. "Violence" is "violence", it has many forms of expression and doesn't has much meaning without a context : it can be useless, bad etc etc, if it is for no purpose or even about targetting the wrong people (like in racism).
It can be actually positive in some social movements (like in the Stonewall riots), or if it is a way to express yourself with some mutual agreements and in a good spirit, which can be the case in some concerts but not all of them (I don't like really the "Negative Hardcore" stuff per se) or in martial arts.
In the later cases, I do believe them to be empowering : you're not a passive victim of your status anymore. You are someone whom is making it through the storm.

Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod » Sun Apr 08, 2018 7:33 pm

Thanks for your considered response and sorry you felt offended. I agree 'Gaytarded' should be consigned to the dustbin. Pissed in American English is used to describe being annoyed, rather meaning drunk in British English.

As you say we make it through the storm in our own way and need to find a positive outlet for processing negative feelings. I've definitely mellowed but some things/people can rile me to the point I want to visit violence upon them. Fortunately/unfortunately it"s not a viable option and rage serves to wind only me up and reflect badly.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

Xam
Getting settled in

Post by Xam » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:59 pm

Well it's not always viable, but more often in a strategic rather than an ethic way imo. The IWW in USA were non-violent 95% of the time, not out of conviction, but because they knew that as a minority (in a qualitative way, not in therm of quantity) they had to be flawless and make the opposite side look inappropriate (while it initially looked legitimate due to its very natures). And that's how they won in most opinion (even amongst political enemies).

Same goes with us, in a much different way, but the idea is : our conceptions aren't the norm, and "violence" (= explicit violence, almost only physical, and especially when coming from the "dangerous classes") cannot be tolerated, even when it's a justified and proportionate answer to another violence. (I would almost say "healthy", but that's cuz I read too much of Sorel :D )
Instead of giving a beatdown to my former incompetent and scornful teacher that I had when I was in highschool, I waited and endured. Then I came back as an adult to him, a mature individual successing at studies with some intellectual and verbal abilities. And I made him feel stupid in front of me. That's an effective way of hitting back, problem is it takes time and patience. But it's usually more rewarding than physical violence yeah.

In any cases, I've been working out again and I have to endure the common aches that comes with it. I especially need to lose some weight (I've been a bit "over" my entire life you see) before I begin to go the Hapkido gym.
Does anyone in here ever did some sport which used kicks. Anyhting to say about my balance and stuff ?