No votes

Total votes: 3

firemonkey
Regular Poster

Aphantasia

Postby firemonkey » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:12 am

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-34039054

I wonder how many of us have this. According to the Wikipedia article on it-
Aphantasia is the suggested name for a condition where one does not possess a functioning mind's eye and cannot visualize imagery.

The BBC link has an abridged test

Dan
Power poster

Re: Aphantasia

Postby Dan » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:22 pm

That's bizarre! My mind's eye isn't exactly super clear, but it is definitely there. Strange, indeed! I wonder if people with this condition get hypnagogic hallucinations when just starting to drift off into alpha wave stage before sleeping proper. Those hallucinations are much clearer than mind's eye stuff, but it is kind of similar, just more vivid. If I try and lucid dream, I usually see just millions of faces changing rapidly and morphing into new things constantly. It's quite odd.

Apparently I am in the lower half, but not terribly bad. The scale is not terribly intuitive though. I got 25/40.

Tom fod
Administrator

Postby Tom fod » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:56 am

I can usually visualise how I want things to be, the challenge comes in communicating it to others and/or actually achieving the desired end result.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)

Dan
Power poster

Postby Dan » Tue Feb 27, 2018 5:17 am

I've basically got music in my head at all times, so perhaps my mind's eye is busy with that, rather than working on seeing things? :P

Return to “The Lounge”