Social media???

Non-dyspraxic chat about anything under the sun

Moderator: Moderator Team

Maximus12
New member - welcome them!

Social media???

Post by Maximus12 » Sun Nov 05, 2017 4:48 pm

What's everyone's opinion on and use of social media? What media do you use?

I recently deactivated my Facebook account. I got a phone call from someone who asked me, with some alarm, why I had written what I had. I told her that I hadn't written anything and in fact I hadn't looked at Facebook in a month and that it had at least since I wrote anything, either a status or comment on someone/thing else's.

Without going into details, somebody was posting using my account. It wasn't innocent 'Fraping' (c.2009) but rather it was quite hurtful comments on the timelines of friends and people I don't know. I immediately deactivated it after reporting the hacking to Facebook. I still use the Messenger service and sent out a message to all my friends exactly what had happened.

In the weeks since I can honestly say I don't miss Facebook in the slightest, a site that in the past wasted my time, numbed my mind and shortened my attention. When I wrote to everyone on my friend list, I realised that I barely knew any of them. A clear majority I had either never met or hadn't seen in years. It occurred to me that the number of real friends I have - people that I would trust to always be there for me and in whom I would confide in, was less than the fingers on one hand.

To answer my own second question - I use no other form of social media, other than LinkedIn, which I would say doesn't really count.

nickye
Power poster

Re: Social media???

Post by nickye » Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:25 am

Sorry to hear you've had this experience. I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with social media. I must admit I prefer forums like this or small Facebook groups where even if you don't actually know the people, everyone is supportive. This forum I think is one of the best - if not the best - space I've encountered on the Internet. People are kind and supportive, and even if they disagree it is good-natured. The odd post that is not has been dealt with straight away, although I can't remember any example off hand!

i think social media can waste an awful lot of time, and it's easy to have misunderstanding. I am on Facebook, and mostly it's OK, but if I had any doubt I would take myself off of it so I quite understand why you did. Mostly i'm on supportive groups, not necessarily to do with dyspraxia, but just clubs I or my daughter might be in.

one thing i do find difficult - not so much the content, but just the sheer amount of information boggles my mind! I used to try to read it all but now I think if someone has something really important to tell me, they'll ring or text me, or even - really radical! - phone me up or knock on my door.

I do find social media a mixed blessing really. Good for information and chats like this, but very bad after Brexit! I try not to get involved in political discussions or moaning where i can help it.

Hope everything goes well for you and you enjoy this forum anyway.

Nicky

Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:49 am

I do still have a Faceache account and will look at it to see what people I know are up to as well as following venues/groups that interest me. I wouldn't say I was a prolific poster and tend to share satirical articles rather than posting about where I am,what I'm eating or doing. I think we have to be mindful that it magnifies any sense of being on the outside looking in.

Moderating this forum is pretty much stress free as the vast majority of people here are respectful and supportive of each other and the moderator team only very rarely need to intervene.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)

allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro » Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:18 pm

That's really frightening !

Dan
Power poster

Post by Dan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:23 pm

This probably wasn't a 'hack', but someone either guessing your password or successfully getting access to your email somehow, and sending the password request. Just in case it's the latter, you should probably change your email password. :)

allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:15 pm

I recently deactivated my facebook account as well. It became a dumping ground for everyone else's family photos, and political posts. Why would you send people five family photos a week or seven political posts a day? I was constantly deleting photos and posts. I would have appreciated personal messages but not a plethora of your photos and recycled political posts. I think it's narcissistic and inconsiderate; so I just deleted the account.