A couple of compositions

Non-dyspraxic chat about anything under the sun

Moderator: Moderator Team

Dan
Power poster

A couple of compositions

Post by Dan » Mon Jul 03, 2017 10:30 am

I wasn't really clear on where to put this, but thought to liven this place up a little and show that my love for music that I suppressed upon learning of Dyspraxia was something, in my very particular case, I could overcome. I will never be anything better than poor at sports or especially art and writing, but I can do one thing I like. EDIT: The difficulty I had as a Dyspraxic is with the piano playing, to clarify.

First one is a kinda new age classical thing. I know that's an oxymoron.
https://m.soundcloud.com/mikehawkbiscuit/change-wav

Second one is a pretty standard stab at a pop song. I collab'd with a friend on this one for vocals and guitar.
https://m.soundcloud.com/mikehawkbiscuit/bad-by-design

Share what you have managed to, or tried to, overcome and whether you have anything to share. No need to be embarrassed as most of my stuff is absolutely terrible! :)

otis_b_flywheel
Regular Poster

Re: A couple of compositions

Post by otis_b_flywheel » Fri Jul 14, 2017 4:48 pm

Dan,
Not terrible at all! Please don't do the classic dyspraxic thing and put yourself down ...
I think you have some effective dynamics in both pieces, and I like the build-up and fade-out in the first one.
I enjoyed the bass part in the song, but then as a bass-player myself I'm probably biased ;-)
I'm always full of admiration for anyone who can write tunes / songs as this is definitely not my strong suit.
Regards
Tim
Tim

"I may not be perfect, but parts of me are pretty awesome."

nickye
Power poster

Post by nickye » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:26 am

I thought the music was fantastic Dan, really enjoyed it. I think us dyspraxic people are too good at putting ourselves down, and concentrating on the things we're not good at. As Einstein said, 'judge a fish by how it climbs a tree and it will feel a failure all its life'.

I play the piano, although haven't played properly for years. I find that practical things like piano playing, typing, knitting etc I find reasonably OK because I can practice them a lot and memorise them. It's things like driving - where you have to concentrate on lots of things at once (directions, traffic lights, pedestrians, etc) that are difficult, and they change every time. Although i did learn to drive eventually, it was hard work.

I think a lot of dyspraxic and dyslexic people are very creative, and just because our brains work in a different way, it doesn't mean we're lesser people. I would definitely keep up with the music if I was you. Thanks for sharing that.

Dan
Power poster

Post by Dan » Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:36 am

Thanks for both of your kind words. :) I am performing and singing 3 pieces I have written on the 28th of September and am rather nervous indeed. Here's me singing one of them from 6 years ago!

https://youtu.be/zx1cmaz1OMA