Martial Arts Anyone?

Non-dyspraxic chat about anything under the sun

Moderator: Moderator Team

skyebison
Getting settled in

Martial Arts Anyone?

Post by skyebison » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:03 am

Hi All, I've been feeling down and unmotivated recently. I think getting out of the house and trying something new would be good for me. I have been researching karate dojos near my home. I think taking martial arts lessons would help me get out of my slump by getting exercise, meeting new people, and learning discipline and self respect. I'm hoping to also improve my balance and coordination.

Do any of you do martial arts? What style? Do you think it was harder for you to learn than a person who doesn't have dyspraxia? I did Taekwondo for a few months when I was a little kid - I don't remember any of it. I do remember having trouble learning move sequences and injuring myself trying to execute a jump kick. Hard to make an assessment of how I would do at martial arts based on a few months almost 20 years ago.

I'm 29. I guess I'm concerned that I would feel like a grandma compared to all the kids in the class. I'm also concerned I would have trouble remembering move sequences or injuring myself.

EDIT: I think my dyspraxia is mild, I have been unable to get a diagnosis yet. My balance and coordination are below average, but don't seem to affect my daily life. My fine motor skills, depth perception, and spatial reasoning skills are poor.

Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Martial Arts Anyone?

Post by Tom fod » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:41 am

No reason why you shdn't try. I'd suggest your research shd include speaking to the different teachers to try to guage their level of patience/style. A bad/impatient teacher would be demotivating. If you're engaged and committed go for it.

It never really appealed to me so my knowledge is limited here.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)

Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:57 am

Skyebison,

I would definitely go for it. Several of our members have successfully learned martial arts despite being dyspraxic. It may take more time than a 'normal' person but it can be done.

I would like to reinforce though Tom's point on the importance of selecting the right teacher. I really wanted to learn as a young man, so I joined a class (an undiagnosed dyspraxic then). But I was made very unwelcome by the teacher due to not picking up the moves quickly enough. Unfortunately, as I was living in the middle of nowhere at the time, finding another teacher wasn't a possibility.

Anyway, if I were you, I'd go to a class but talk to the instructor about your dyspraxia before you attend. You might also find that as a dyspraxic that going to a few one to one classes and doing lots of practice alone is more beneficial than attending a lot of group classes.

You are not too old to learn at the age of 29.You should be able to keep going for about another 6-10 years. However, I have heard that continuing hard core martial arts when you are over the age of 35 or 40 puts too much strain on the joints. Therefore, it's better to switch to gentler stuff like Tai Chi once you hit early middle age. But please take what I have said with a pinch of salt.

skyebison
Getting settled in

Post by skyebison » Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:19 pm

Tom and Ram, thanks for the replies! I will definitely choose my instructors carefully! I want someone who will push me to do better but understand that I may take longer to master things.

skyebison
Getting settled in

Post by skyebison » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:25 am

I took my first class today! The owner of the studio said one of the most uncoordinated people he'd ever seen is now a fifth degree black belt! It took him a very long time to get there and he had to work very hard.

All I really learned today were some very basic punches and blocks. You know what? I am so uncoordinated I could hardly do them. The black belt helping me was super patient. If I had been him looking at me I would have thought, "Are you even paying attention, SkyeBison?"

I'll keep plugging away and let you all know how it goes.

Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:57 am

SkyeBison wrote:
I took my first class today! The owner of the studio said one of the most uncoordinated people he'd ever seen is now a fifth degree black belt! It took him a very long time to get there and he had to work very hard.

All I really learned today were some very basic punches and blocks. You know what? I am so uncoordinated I could hardly do them. The black belt helping me was super patient. If I had been him looking at me I would have thought, "Are you even paying attention, SkyeBison?"

I'll keep plugging away and let you all know how it goes.
Congratulations on taking the plunge, SkyeBison. It sounds as if you've found a nice and enlightened group of people to learn with. I look forward to hearing about your progress in due course.

skyebison
Getting settled in

Post by skyebison » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:00 am

Hi again everyone, I'm going to use this thread to occasionally talk about my progress. I have been doing karate for about two months now. This evening I took my yellow and orange belt tests and passed with a B-. I had to put in a lot of extra work to do it, and it still wasn't anywhere near perfect, but I'm proud of my hard work and accomplishments so far. I do have some natural athleticism, but unfortunately I am not coordinated and choreographed movements are very difficult for me. Some sport activities I have been able to muscle through before, albeit very ungracefully, this required a level of finesse and concentration I'm not used to.
:banana: :evilb: :banana:

Yossarian
Getting settled in

Post by Yossarian » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:07 pm

Hello Skyebison,

I would be interested to hear about your progress. I practiced Muay Thai boxing in the past (I done it for about 2 years). I got a lot out of the martial art, but I struggled with the high kicks and learning some of the more complicated combos.

I can definitely relate to having to "muscle through" as I have always used my fitness and strength to compensate for a lack of agility and finesse. I relied very heavily on my strength during clinch work, but I learned that it is more effective to learn and employ proper technique.

I stopped practicing martial arts due to heavy work commitments at the time, but I do miss the training. I like the idea of learning a martial art that involves grading (Muay Thai traditionally does not). I imagine that belt tests are a good way to guage your progress. You have inspired me to think about taking up a martial art again.