Favorite Movies with the Theme of Bullying

Non-dyspraxic chat about anything under the sun

Moderator: Moderator Team

Ram
Power poster

Favorite Movies with the Theme of Bullying

Post by Ram » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:08 pm

Bullying is a subject that is dear to the hearts of many of us dyspraxics. It seems that we can be prone to 'attracting' bullying scumbags at all ages of our life due to our perceived differences.

So I thought it might be good to have a thread where we share our favorite films on the theme of bullying.

These are my personal top three.

3. The Reunion (Återträffen) (2013)
In this Swedish film, a famous artist in real life is not invited to her school reunion 20 years after she left school. So she makes a movie of how she imagines the reunion would have turned out had she been there to confront her old bullies. This is a typically Scandinavian film that does not have much action but is powerful psychologically. It is also extremely uncomfortable viewing.

2. Dead Man's Shoes (2004)
Most British members probably know about this one. It's about an ex soldier who returns to his hometown to deal with the local scum who had bullied his mentally impaired brother while he was away on duty.

1. Good and Bad at Games (1983)
A teenage pupil at a posh English boarding school who is bad at games but rather clever (very probably a dyspraxic!) is mercilessly bullied day and night by the school's sporty crowd. Ten years later as a 20 something journalist he comes to confront the ringleader of the bullies.

I'm looking forward to any other member's favorite films on this theme!
Last edited by Ram on Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Favorite Movies with the Theme of Bullying

Post by Tom fod » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:28 pm

There's Wilderness a father exacts revenge on the bullies who hounded his son to the point where his son took his own life.

Dead Mans Shoes sounds interesting
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)

otis_b_flywheel
Regular Poster

Post by otis_b_flywheel » Thu Apr 13, 2017 12:00 pm

A really great topic for a thread Ram. I'd be interested to see these, but would you be able please give a violence rating for each? - I try to avoid watching violent films whenever possible.

Thanks

Tim
Tim

"I may not be perfect, but parts of me are pretty awesome."

Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:57 pm

otis_b_flywheel said: I'd be interested to see these, but would you be able please give a violence rating for each?
That's a good question, Otis. Obviously, violence is a relative term. None of these are mainstream Hollywood movies, so there isn't any of what I would call gratuitous violence in any of them.

The Reunion has very little physical violence. It doesn't get any more than the shoving you can see in the trailer. However,the film is quite psychologically disturbing in many places.This is the trailer with english subtitles.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2f8V_layZ_w

Dead Man's Shoes may be too violent for your tastes. IMDB gives it a violence rating of 7/10. This is what they have to say about it "There is not a lot of onscreen violence, but the film still contains lots of brutal violence that is extremely shocking and sobering." Despite all this it is also psychologically powerful.
This is the trailer if you still want to get a taste of it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFi6FrAV9SE

Good and Bad at Games is probably 1/2 way between the other two. It's a mix of the physical and psychological. There are a lot of disturbing flashbacks during the boys' school years. And there is some physical confrontation in the present moment. However, this is kept to a minimum. There is no trailer because it was made for TV, but the whole film is on youtube.
Hope this is of some help.
Tom said: There's Wilderness a father exacts revenge on the bullies who hounded his son to the point where his son took his own life.

This definitely sounds interesting even if extremely dark.

Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod » Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:25 am

This definitely sounds interesting even if extremely dark.
Surprisingly Wilderness is only rated 15. Time Out said of it "Scum meets Dog Soldiers, with a side order of Lord of the Flies"
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.

otis_b_flywheel
Regular Poster

Post by otis_b_flywheel » Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:31 am

Thanks Ram,
I'll definitely search out The Reunion and Good and bad at games
Tim
Tim

Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:51 am

Tom said: Surprisingly Wilderness is only rated 15. Time Out said of it "Scum meets Dog Soldiers, with a side order of Lord of the Flies"
I've just watched Wilderness. It is certainly gripping if extremely gory.I can see where Time Out were coming from with their description of this film. And the 15 rating is quite astonishing.

This movie also shows what an outstanding actor Toby Kebbell is. In this film, he effectively plays the ruthless and resourceful natural leader of the delinquents on the island. However, in Dead Man's Shoes, he equally effectively plays the part of a harmless slightly mentally disabled young man.

Thanks for mentioning this movie, Tom!

Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:46 pm

Ram

You're welcome. Just watched Dead Mans Shoes this evening. a v powerful film
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram » Tue Apr 18, 2017 3:45 pm

Tom fod said:
Just watched Dead Mans Shoes this evening. a v powerful film
Yes, it's a film that stayed with me for a long time after I watched it. In an interview, Shane Meadows, the director, says that the film is loosely based on something dark and related to drugs that happened to someone in his home town.

He also says that that the ultimate message of the film is that it is necessary for you to forgive people who have done deep wrongs rather than to resort to violence since that will bring you down to the wrongdoer's level. I'm not sure if that message was obvious to me while I was watching it.

Did you also notice that the actor who plays Callum (or is it Callan) in Wilderness plays Anthony in Dead Man's Shoes?

Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:14 pm

Afraid I did not. I only spotted you'd made connection after rereading your post from Fri am.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:56 pm

otis_b_flywheel said:
I look forward to hearing your opinions about these films in due course if you'd like to share them. By the way, do you have any favorite movies on this theme that you'd like to recommend?

Tom fod said:
Afraid I did not. I only spotted you'd made connection after rereading your post from Fri am.
I only noticed at the end of Wilderness at the end when they showed the credits. It really is a testament to Tony Kebbel's acting ability that neither of us were able to spot him playing these two vastly different characters.

Yossarian
Getting settled in

Post by Yossarian » Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:29 pm

There is a very good Estonian movie called Klass. The movie takes place in a high school where one boy has been singled out by a group of bullies. The boy is subjected to violence, humiliation and the class are encouraged to treat him like a pariah.

One of the classmates, however, decides to befriend the victim and confront the bullies. This ends badly and both boys are subjected to appalling treatment. The two boys then decide to seek violent revenge.

I found this to be a very affecting movie. The bullying is painfully realistic and extreme. The young actors do a fantastic job. It is not an easy watch and the violence can be disturbing.

Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram » Mon May 01, 2017 6:16 pm

Yossarian wrote:There is a very good Estonian movie called Klass. The movie takes place in a high school where one boy has been singled out by a group of bullies. The boy is subjected to violence, humiliation and the class are encouraged to treat him like a pariah.

One of the classmates, however, decides to befriend the victim and confront the bullies. This ends badly and both boys are subjected to appalling treatment. The two boys then decide to seek violent revenge.

I found this to be a very affecting movie. The bullying is painfully realistic and extreme. The young actors do a fantastic job. It is not an easy watch and the violence can be disturbing.
Thank you for this. I've just watched the trailer. It certainly looks a seriously powerful film. I hope I can get the chance to watch it.

otis_b_flywheel
Regular Poster

Post by otis_b_flywheel » Wed May 24, 2017 4:54 pm

Tom fod wrote:otis_b_flywheel said:

I look forward to hearing your opinions about these films in due course if you'd like to share them. By the way, do you have any favorite movies on this theme that you'd like to recommend?
I have The Reunion on my DVD postal rental list, Tom, but Good and bad at games is proving hard to find as it appears to pre-date DVDs. I'll certainly come back with reviews once I've seen either / both of them. I can't think of any others that I've seen other than very obvious movies like Lord of the Flies
Tim

Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod » Wed May 24, 2017 7:31 pm

We have Ram to thank for recommending Good and Bad at Games.
If your Broadband connection is up to it I did find it on YouTube. Ortherwise I guess you'll need to keep a look out in TV repeats listings or at Car boot sales etc on the off chance and let fate determine. Does IMDB reveal if it was released on VHS?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator