Favorite Movies with the Theme of Bullying

Non-dyspraxic chat about anything under the sun

Moderator: Moderator Team

otis_b_flywheel
Regular Poster

Re: Favorite Movies with the Theme of Bullying

Post by otis_b_flywheel » Mon Jul 24, 2017 5:31 pm

Haha, if I'd paid proper attention to the previous posts I would have known Good and bad at games was on YouTube!
I've now at last seen both this and The Reunion. Good and bad at games is obviously very dated but none the worse for that. I found it intriguing and somewhat disturbing in terms of what it left out or made only passing references to (e g Northern Ireland), and it thus left quite a bit to one's imagination, which was interesting. It seems to bite hard at the attitudes fostered by traditional English private schools (WHY ON EARTH are they called "public" there?) and I have a lot sympathy with that.
The Reunion I found creative and original, but there was a vindictive element about it that left me a bit cold. I'm a Buddhist and therefore believe in forgiveness. I like to think I've forgiven most of the (many) people who bullied me at school - and at times since - and reckon that it wasn't their fault that they didn't know I was dyspraxic. I'm not a big fan of school reunions but did attend one in 1996 that I greatly enjoyed, not least because several individuals who hadn't been very nice to me at school came to me and re-introduced themselves in a friendly way.
Regards
Tim

"I may not be perfect, but parts of me are pretty awesome."

Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:01 pm

otis_b_flywheel wrote:Haha, if I'd paid proper attention to the previous posts I would have known Good and bad at games was on YouTube!
I've now at last seen both this and The Reunion. Good and bad at games is obviously very dated but none the worse for that. I found it intriguing and somewhat disturbing in terms of what it left out or made only passing references to (e g Northern Ireland), and it thus left quite a bit to one's imagination, which was interesting. It seems to bite hard at the attitudes fostered by traditional English private schools (WHY ON EARTH are they called "public" there?) and I have a lot sympathy with that.
The Reunion I found creative and original, but there was a vindictive element about it that left me a bit cold. I'm a Buddhist and therefore believe in forgiveness. I like to think I've forgiven most of the (many) people who bullied me at school - and at times since - and reckon that it wasn't their fault that they didn't know I was dyspraxic. I'm not a big fan of school reunions but did attend one in 1996 that I greatly enjoyed, not least because several individuals who hadn't been very nice to me at school came to me and re-introduced themselves in a friendly way.
Regards
It's interesting that you've brought up the topic of vindictiveness. I would say that both John Cox in Good and Bad at Games and Anna Odell in The Reunion are equally vindictive. Nevertheless, I would say that the bullies in the former film seemed much more malicious than they were in the latter and perhaps more deserving of revenge. But the ultimate message of Good and Bad at Games seemed to be that revenge is not the way forward.

On the other hand,Anna Odell makes a big martyr of herself in The Reunion even though she has become vindictive to the point of being a bit of a pain in the neck as an adult. After all, the people who attended the Reunion seemed pleasant enough until she relentlessly antagonised them. And I lost further sympathy for her when she kept hounding people who didn't reply to her messages. (From the film, it seems that the Swedes are as indirect at saying no as the English!)

allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:33 am

Powder

Dan
Power poster

Post by Dan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:31 pm

Now I feel bad for torrenting... :P

There's a Swedish film I like called Let Me In, or something like that. I really enjoyed it.

Only film I can really think of is Mean Girls, aha. Saw that as a kid.

Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:20 am

Cruel Intentions?
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)

Dan
Power poster

Post by Dan » Sun Feb 25, 2018 9:27 am

Tom fod wrote:Cruel Intentions?
Nah, it's a really bizarre vampire story that's actually quite touching in a weird, twisted way. Apparently that's the Swedish way, and I'm all for it. It was recommended to me to watch the Swedish version. I watched the other one to compare, and the actual violence is fairly short-lived in the Swedish version when compared to the US version, but quite a lot of darker stuff happens in the Swedish one, IMO.

I thought of a film I love called Never Let Me Go, and that has a character who's bullied as a kid, and he gets really angry, so the kids do it more. It's actually sci-fi, but set in the UK, with a beautiful soundtrack. Also, I kinda have a love affair with Carey Mulligan, but it's genuinely a touching and sad film, all at once. The bullying isn't necessarily the focus, but I shall say no more, lest I spoil it.

EDIT:
I just quoted the wrong film title. It's "Let The Right One In". I have no idea why they'd rename the film when making a worse version of something.

Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:15 pm

No Vampires in Cruel Intentions but given Sarah Michelle Gellars role as Buffy I can understand where confusion may have come from. Wikipedia describes it as a Romantic Drama LOL! It is a remake of a French Film that translates as Dangerous Liaisons.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)

Dan
Power poster

Post by Dan » Mon Feb 26, 2018 3:33 am

Never Let Me Go features a lot of bullying, and it's a really beautifully haunting British film. I totally adore it. It has an exceptional soundtrack too. Just listen to this and tell me it's not melancholic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5xaTmyfmgI

Yeah, I do enjoy the music, but the film is lovely too. There's no violence, but plenty of bullying, and as a film, it has really stuck with me. It's a sci-fi story starting in the '70s in England, with Carey Mulligan, Keira Knightly and Andrew Garfield. The kids' acting in this at the beginning, before we see them grown up, is pretty good, actually. Well, I say that, but I'm due to be assessed for Asperger's, so I am probably terrible at picking up on the subtle things that make some performances so memorable to people.