Blackadder

Non-dyspraxic chat about anything under the sun

Moderator: Moderator Team

JamesAnthony91
Regular Poster

Blackadder

Post by JamesAnthony91 »

Anyone here like the show Blackadder? I used to watch it constantly as a teenager, and the character Edmund was an idol of mine, the one from the second series who went by "Lord Blackadder", and was able to talk his way in and out of most things. I enjoyed all the series though, was hoping a while back that it'd return for a series set during the 70's or 80's if not the modern day(I saw the film, but, I mean a whole series is something I'd want), but I guess it might not return for another television series. It's amazing how tv influences people in certain ways though, I'd say Blackadder Goes Forth may have planted the seeds for my critical view of the military. Don't get me wrong, I'm no pacifist, I just mean that the series might have a part in why I think people fight wars for the most ridiculous of reasons. That, and, I am an advocate of justified warfare, which means defending against invasion(unjustified warfare.)
Jim
Super poster

Re: Blackadder

Post by Jim »

Blackadder is quite simply brilliant... There's often rumours that they might make another series but it would seem unlikely partly because they can't seem to agree what era to set it in.

In many ways it's probably best left alone.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
JamesAnthony91
Regular Poster

Post by JamesAnthony91 »

At least the series is something that can be watched again, and again, and again, without an episode getting boring.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

JamesAnthony91 wrote: I'd say Blackadder Goes Forth may have planted the seeds for my critical view of the military. Don't get me wrong, I'm no pacifist, I just mean that the series might have a part in why I think people fight wars for the most ridiculous of reasons. That, and, I am an advocate of justified warfare, which means defending against invasion(unjustified warfare.)
The popular image of the Generals sitting in their chalets while the poor bloody infantry slogged it out in the trenches is not completely true. Gordon Corrigan's Mud, Blood, and Poppycock challenges some of these popular myths about how the Great War was directed and makes for interesting reading.

Equally, justification of reasons for entry into conflict is very subjective.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
JamesAnthony91
Regular Poster

Post by JamesAnthony91 »

I know what you mean, but I'm mostly thinking of the anti-war dialogue. I've also learned about the causes of World War 1...it seems like a really stupid accident, basically a bunch of nations going full retard. Dropping a glass or two, panicking, and running around screaming and thrashing the place. Not to mention, most of the recent wars I've seen, look more like excuses to fight and give business to military orientated manufacturers. I'd say I support revolutionaries like those in Palestine more than the wars directed by "recognized states", despite the fact that some people in Palestine fighting the IDF are considered terrorists. On the terrorist label...isn't that just what people call any military force that isn't approved by the UN...and isn't the UN basically the HQ of American hegemony? Those "muricans" basically say they lead the world, they out and out state their position as people who want to control the world. I guess Russia and China might be a challenge to them, but they're the same as the USA. They're just oppressive regimes with too much power.
Willr0490
Power poster

Post by Willr0490 »

I enjoy Blackadder. I've watched it ever since my teenage years. In fact I've recently bought the entire run (the 4 series made between 1983 and 1989, i.e. The Black Adder to Blackadder Goes Forth, plus the 1999 special Blackadder Back and Forth) as a DVD box set.

Regarding the posts about a new series, I have heard many rumours about this - for example one concerned them making a 1960s era series where Blackadder and Baldrick are in a rock band together.
JamesAnthony91
Regular Poster

Post by JamesAnthony91 »

I'd watch something like that, definitely. I think that they could also play on Rowan Atkinson's comedy spy film roles, by having him as an intelligence agent for MI6/SIS, maybe during the modern day. Imagine that: Blackadder comedy, with spy tropes.