Artificial Intelligence

Non-dyspraxic chat about anything under the sun

Moderator: Moderator Team

JamesAnthony91
Regular Poster

Artificial Intelligence

Postby JamesAnthony91 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:01 am

The subject title probably says it all, but, I'll elaborate, what's your opinion on what they call "AI"? I can understand it as a concept, but I can't help but remain sceptical. I guess I just don't think we know enough about our own consciousness yet, hardly enough to attempt developing a "sentient computer", and for this reason I think Neuroscience must always precede Computer Science in terms of importance and allocation of resources. I respect Computer Science, I am fascinated by Computer Science, but it's only by studying, in depth, the neurology of human brains, that we can even hope to create a sentient computer...if we even should. I think more advanced "Artificial Narrow Intelligence" might be enough, rather than self aware AGI(Artificial General Intelligence.) I don't see the need for creating self aware organisms that can compete with us for resources. Then again...maybe they'd put a stop to our depleting the planet of it's natural resources. That's pure sci-fi, but, I'd be interested in knowing what others think about the field, beyond the use of AI for more efficient computing.

Tomtom
Regular Poster

Re: Artificial Intelligence

Postby Tomtom » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:44 pm

Honestly, I don't know a massive amount about the science behind AI, but I agree about the neuroscience aspect. We don't know nearly enough about consciousness itself to begin programming it yet, the idea of the existence of consciousness itself has been a subject for philosophical debates in some quarters. We are learning about both the brain and improving AI at rapid rates; we now have a rudimentary 'map' of sorts and are starting to classify areas of different function according to their (there are 40-50 so called 'Brodmann areas' at the moment), and a robot passed the Turing test (making a human thinking it was also human) this year, so we are getting closer.
Honestly though, when some of the most eminent minds in science and/or computing of a generation (for example Elon Musk, Steve Wozniak and Stephen Hawking) have genuine fears about the dangers of AI, we should probably listen to them and only take it so far. That's my opinion anway

JamesAnthony91
Regular Poster

Postby JamesAnthony91 » Fri Jan 15, 2016 1:03 pm

I personally think that high IQ and wisdom/unbiased rationality, aren't mutually inclusive. Steven Hawking and Musk might be sharp guys, but I don't take them serious about issues relating to society, especially not Musk(Hawking I can at least respect in part), who some would call "King of Mensa." Like Feynman, I have an slightly above average IQ, and even if I accomplished as much as the 128 point IQ Feynman, Mensa members will still think they **** rainbows and that I'm "not worthy", though I never applied to join and found out about it from some Welsh guy who said his granddad was a member or something, that and there was this scandal about members being dicks to a black girl because they believe white people are better because of some racist ass statistics involving racial intelligence. I won't rant too much about my opinion of Mensa, or Musk, but, trust me, we don't need to worry about self aware AI killing us all, not just yet. I think natural disasters will make us an endangered species first, but, that's a whole other thread. I think a real danger would be rich assholes like Musk affording cognitive enhancement devices and other transhuman type crap, while everyone else picks at the scraps of technology they get, if megalomaniacs like Musk get their way(I bet he fantasizes about being Emperor of the Solar System.) My good natured slagging of Musk aside, I actually think humans in general are a dangerous and unwise species, and that we'd destroy ourselves with amplified intelligence. I am, however, a hypocrite, so I'd happily avail of neural implants that might help me have an edge in life. I mostly just want to help people out with that edge, and maybe one day find a way to negate the negative aspects of Dyspraxia. I made a decision to dedicate myself to the study of the brain, because of how my disorder influenced my past. Neural Engineering is a field I've recently become acquainted with, and it seems to be something that speaks to a part of me, as if by fate. I mentioned before, I am proud of my Dyspraxia. It's made my life difficult, but it also gave me an atypical mind that I treasure. I also know that some people have it worse than I do, that people struggle with it in ways I can't relate, and I want to help those people. I think that there are ways to enhance short term memory and sense of direction, as well as fine and gross motor skills. I promise that one day people with Dyspraxia won't only overcome their symptoms, they'll excel past average human performance, with the added benefit of their atypical skills.

allesandro
Power poster

Postby allesandro » Mon Feb 19, 2018 4:05 am

well, you know what they say, "artificial intelligence cannot be compared to natural stupidity"

Dan
Power poster

Postby Dan » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:53 pm

I think the way to do it is what we've witnessed with the Google demo of Go, along with DeepMind in general, although really, it's about Machine Learning. It's like evolution, except going through each iteration almost instantly.

Return to “The Lounge”