Video games aren't a bad thing

Non-dyspraxic chat about anything under the sun

Moderator: Moderator Team

LGC2108
Regular Poster

Re: Video games aren't a bad thing

Post by LGC2108 » Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:27 am

I studied computer games as part of my degree, I wrote an essay on violence in games, which was an interesting subject to study.
I think computer games probably help dyspraxics, my parents got me "Eye Toy" games for the PS2 when I was younger, which helped a lot, and the concept of using your body to "control" a game has advanced a lot in the last 10 years.

lauraECFan
Power poster

Post by lauraECFan » Sun Sep 28, 2014 11:45 pm

i agree as i find video games make me think what i need to do to pass a certain part of it
Animal lover forever
Bookworm forever
Live for today :)
if you have a dream chase it catch it and never let go of it

Begel
New member - welcome them!

Post by Begel » Wed Nov 12, 2014 12:19 pm

Of course games r not bad thingg ! We can spend alot of good time there

richb2014

Post by richb2014 » Wed Jan 14, 2015 4:44 pm

I don't think games are a bad thing but I think a lot of people spend too much time on them. My 7 year old son is obsessed with the X Box and mobile games like Angry Birds. It's even more crazy that computer games are so popular with younger kids that there's people making a living out of filming themselves playing computer games and putting them up on youtube!!! I don't get it personally!!!

The only things in games I'm not a fan of are the amount of violence in games like GTA and "Freemium" games like Candy Crush that are designed to be frustrating (so that you spend more money) rather than fun.

Removed signature Shadwell

morgank82
Regular Poster

Post by morgank82 » Mon May 04, 2015 12:52 am

Video games mate no way useless to a person that is user dyspraxia, peoplw don't understand at times it stimulates are nerves alot and train are cordination functions to deliver messages or process information to the fingers on the controller to the brain. And knowledge to The screen. It helps in so many ways of fine motor skills. But u have to be active outside it also or try to be, that's when the omptus vr comes into play to use are whole body movements instead only just the fingers and hands. To wake up all are senses and cordination.

boopidoop

Post by boopidoop » Sun Jun 14, 2015 12:33 am

I couldn't agree more. If it wasn't for video games, I'd be in a bad place right now.

I think the issue of "Video games are evil, burn them with fire" is mostly brought about from people who don't fully realise what the industry has become. This is very true for parents and grandparents, because they see violence, guns, blood, gore, and worse, but don't notice other games.
See, there are 2 types of game in the industry - AAA games, and Indie games.

AAA games are made by massive companies, such as Rockstar (Creators of the Grand Theft Auto series), EA (Creators of The Sims) and a lot of others. These are like the big blockbuster movies you see, with explosions, famous actors/actresses, and massive budgets. Look at Grand Theft Auto 5, that game had a £170 mil budget. When you compare that to Tangled's £165 mil, that's a lot.

However, there are also Indie games. These are made by small businesses, or just a couple of friends who wanted to make a game. I personally play a lot of these, because they are usually working harder to become noticed, rather than big companies, riding on past fames. They also contain better concepts, and connect with the audience more. My top 3 indie games would be Octodad: Dadliest Catch, Gang Beasts and The Stanley Parable. All of these games are hilarious fun to play, with friends or on your own.

Psychology-wise, they actually help to prevent violence. While there can be the occasional crime linked to them, they usually help to relieve stress, and only contain the amount of violence you'd expect in a movie. I don't know about you guys, but I didn't want to go and join the Mafia after watching The Godfather :D

Quick recommendation to parents though - A lot of kids can become verbally offensive if they spend time on consoles. This might sound silly, but the community in a lot of games can be fairly bossy, rude, and violent. I'd suggest either playing offline games, or playing online with friends. If your kid likes online gaming though, a good PC can provide a better environment, but can be a little more expensive. Also, try playing games with your kids! It can be a massive amount of fun for both parties, with parents learning what their kids enjoy, and the kids laughing as you learn the controls :P

I have to sleep now, but feel free to PM me if you want to know more, or need advice :)

KramerD

Post by KramerD » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:43 am

Nothing wrong with playing video games as long as you know your limitation on it.

Loopy-Lu86

Post by Loopy-Lu86 » Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:42 pm

I don't see any problem with video games, gets you thinking, i used to play them alot when i was younger & gets you thinking in different ways, well it did me, lol, i wish i had more time to play them now but have two small children so been a few years since ive played them, i don't agree with. People slagging them off & blaming vilonce on them, i mean they have a rating for a reason, parents that let their children play games like call of duty, really get on my nerves, like 7 or 8 year olds playing it, i mean come on, "really" you want your child running around blowing the crap out of things, personly i could never get on with games like that, too much cordanation for me having to ise both analog sticks, lol, but must say i really did enjoy all the rock band games, i do love abit of rock band & am kinda gutted i wont get a chance to play the new one for a few years yet, ok rant over, lol.

spheric91

Post by spheric91 » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:23 pm

Couldnt say that video games are ever a bad thing I have over 15+ handheld and gaming systems aswell as my laptop! Im always playing some kind of game but I am very antisocial and prefer the company of a console to a person :-) <3

JamesAnthony91
Regular Poster

Post by JamesAnthony91 » Sat Jan 23, 2016 4:13 pm

They're great for memory and motor skills. Gamer-for-life *gang sign* ;)

ichiban-no-hime
Getting settled in

Post by ichiban-no-hime » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:26 am

I play a lot of rhythm and music games, like guitar hero and project diva, and honestly, I've found they help my coordination so much! I've developed a really good sense of rhythm now too, whereas i never really had one before.

Yossarian
Getting settled in

Post by Yossarian » Sun May 08, 2016 1:31 pm

I've been playing video games since I was nine years old (I'm 35 now). As a child, I never enjoyed team sports and video games were a actually a social experience for kids like me.

We would trade games and spend hours at each other's homes playing marathon sessions together. These are actually some of my favourite childhood memories. Even today, my friends and I will organize at least one day a year (subject to work and family commitments) when we all get together at someone's house and bring our consoles for a marathon gaming session. This does elicit a few raised eyebrows from our wives/partners :P

I think that some of the criticism directed at video games comes from the mistaken belief that they are childish and a waste of time. Games have evolved over the years and the narrative and production values of many games are astounding. I think that games are, ultimately, a form of escapism and fun. In this regard, playing a video game is no different from watching a sports game, going to a movie or reading a novel.

Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim » Mon May 09, 2016 3:22 pm

I have nothing against computer games but personally I don't enjoy them.

This is mostly because I'm not particularly good at them and don't have the patience to improve at them. It's not an important part of my life, not one that I miss any way.

I disagree with regards to the co-ordination. Even when I did play games (mostly motor racing games) as a child, I never felt any benefit to my co-ordination. I remember once going actual go-karting and loving it (didn't do too badly either) and then going back to the game and it was like my brain had forgotten how to coordinate what I saw on the screen with the buttons on the controller. Terrible.

I find with any action game that my brain simply can't co-ordinate the functions. Personally I believe actual physical activity to be far more beneficial to co-ordination.
Jim is back ... Jim is J i m and J i m is Jim.

Confused? I'd be.

trueblue42

Post by trueblue42 » Tue Jun 21, 2016 10:11 am

Video games aren't bad by themselves but I can easily get hooked on a strategy game and play it endlessly. Rise of Nations, Victoria II and Hearts of Iron III...ah dig it. Time just flies by. They're not too social though and always usually end the same way so I feel so guilty afterwards, like I'm wasting my time.

lauraECFan
Power poster

Post by lauraECFan » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:05 pm

currently hooked on the mass effect series i started a new game night before last and i made myself in it yes there is violence in it but i play it for the story rather than the fighting same reason i play dragon age
Animal lover forever
Bookworm forever
Live for today :)
if you have a dream chase it catch it and never let go of it