Tablet , or netbook, or laptop

Non-dyspraxic chat about anything under the sun

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tim G
Super poster

Re: Tablet , or netbook, or laptop

Post by Tim G » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:00 pm

What are you primarly using it for and what is your budget? (more info please)
The real Mr Potato Head

Shadwell

Post by Shadwell » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:18 pm

what you really need to look at, is what are you going to use the laptop or tablet for, if it is solely for work, then probably be better with a tablet as it is lighter than a laptop, and less of a hasstle to carry around.

but if you are going to use it more for other things like surfing the inter-net, or running applications then probably a laptop.

then you want to check out the screen size, can you read the written text on the tablet? will it run what you want, can you plug it in to say a tv for example for use in the home.

there is a lot to think about, like I only use my laptop over friends, or when we go out for the day, or few days. in my home then I use the pc most of the time as I play games that need better graphic card than the standard in a laptop. so the laptop isn't very good at that, but that was a £300 laptop about 5 years ago.

as for a tablet, I am kind of thinking of getting one, but not majorly bothered, as the laptop does me good for out, and about, and as I don't use it very often then it is good for what I want it for, which is watching videos on youtube, the e3 conference, and playing basic windows games, and also older games. and surfing the inter-net. As I just use the laptop for basic stuff then it is purfect for what I want, but did upgrade the memory, and hard disk drive asap. as it was a bog standard 1gig memory running vista at the time, and 80gig hdd.

Captain_Ludd
Power poster

Post by Captain_Ludd » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:47 pm

If its for work then Id go Laptop for two reasons:

1.) Office application support on tablets can be a bit dodgy (its better on Ipads but then their even more expensive).
This has changed to some extent because of MS surface but its redonkulusly expensive (and made Microsoft )

2.) This is totally personal but I find it hard to type on my tablet for any length of time because of the angle at which you type, I suppose this depends on the type of panel being used and size of screen to some extent though.

For general internet surfing,ebooking and tablet apps (obviously ! :) ) I love my tablet far easier than firing up the PC and much more portable.

I've never been a huge fan of Net tops personally always found them very under powered, better of paying a few extra quid and just getting yourself a lappy instead IMHO.

If you can stretch to it people like Dell and HP are now doing lappies that convert into tablets and visa versa bit expensive but good fun (I was messing with one at PC world a couple of weeks ago :) ).

lauraECFan
Power poster

Post by lauraECFan » Tue Jan 15, 2013 9:31 am

Laptop for me as I play the sim games (currently on Sims 3 Supernatural with fairy and werewolf family) and I prefer a keypad as in school I had touch typing sessions for around 5 years which has been very useful as I can now type without having to even look at the keyboard as I know the exact place of each key.

:banana: :evilb: :banana:
Animal lover forever
Bookworm forever
Live for today :)
if you have a dream chase it catch it and never let go of it

LouAlbano
New member - welcome them!

Post by LouAlbano » Tue Apr 02, 2013 5:10 am

Tim G wrote:What are you primarly using for this tablet and what is your budget? (more info please)
once we know your usage and exact budget.Then we can give better opinion.
Last edited by LouAlbano on Tue Apr 09, 2013 3:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim » Sun Apr 07, 2013 11:23 am

It really almost entirely depends on your requirements.

If it's purely web browsing, i.e email, social networking like twitter, Facebook, YouTube etc then I'd suggest a tablet like the apple iPad. These are portable to the extreme and are multifunctional. The touch screen technology is well intergrated to the user interface. I do the majority of my web based activity on my iPad. If apple tech is too pricey for you then there are alternatives which use android based systems or the new kindle from amazon looks good too.

If there is a work element, and you do a lot of word processing, spreadsheet, database, programming etc then a laptop at the very least would be the solution. A laptop is portable enough to take with you on the commute to work, and whilst away on business. It is also more practical for office applications. I currently have little use for desktop publishing but I retain my old laptop. At home I have a keyboard and mouse plugged into to it because I prefer typing on the full size keyboard. I also have a mini mouse for when traveling with it because I prefer mouse to the little touch pad.

If it's hardcore gaming you're after then either a high powered desktop PC, or a console would be more appropriate.
Jim is back ... Jim is J i m and J i m is Jim.

Confused? I'd be.

Square12
Getting settled in

Post by Square12 » Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:09 am

Love my tablet, use it for flash cards when teaching a class and a whiteboard for private lessons, music, games & web browsing for free time, but top recommendation is a griffin case, they claim to protect the tablet from drops of about 6ft onto hard surface, have accidentally tested about 2ft, plus has a secondary screen that protects fom spilt food & drink!

Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton » Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:58 pm

That reads like a commercial promotion.

I prefer this sort of Forum to WhatsApp

Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:41 pm

Please report and do not interact with posters breaching the no advertisimg rule.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)

Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:15 pm

I had no idea I was breaking a rule or it was an advert, I was just trying to respond politely.

Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:15 am

Andrew

Sorry poster was a clever and subtle advertiser and I shd have banned them outright/sooner. Post was not dyspraxia related with URL in sig block
While in Lounge any advertising still has to have sought and been granted prior permission

Please consider yourself released from any doghouse as no soecific rule broken and admonishment swiftly withdrawn 8-)
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)

Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:08 pm

OK , the Yahoo group I moderate, has a setting, with we have used for years, not only allows a checkup be made of all new members and then to also pre moderate posts, which in the past we generally did.

Spam still gets through when a member has their email address hacked. That group is now moribund, so there is very little traffic now other Social Media formats have overtaken older style message fora.