The Movie "Crash"

Non-dyspraxic chat about anything under the sun

Moderator: Moderator Team

keiraknightleyfan27
Power poster

The Movie "Crash"

Post by keiraknightleyfan27 »

This is sort of a thread to talk about the movie Crash. I just saw this movie and I want to talk a little about it if anyone else has seen it. I think that the things in the movie (the labels and prejudices) go on in everyone's lives and the movie really made me think about how I treat others. To find out more about Crash, which stars Sandra Bullock, Matt Dillon, Don Cheadle (from Hotel Rwanda), Terrence Howard, Chris "Ludacris" Bridges, Ryan Phillippe (From Cruel Intentions), Jennifer Esposito, Brendan Fraser, William Fichter, Larenz Tate, Thandie Newton, and Michael Pena go to http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375679/. For those who have not seen this movie, I highly reccommend it. It might give you a new perspective on the world.
Rory Gilmore (to Lorelai as she leaves for an internship in Chicago): Mom, you've given me everything I need.
Luke Danes (to Lorelai): I just like to see you happy.---"Gilmore Girls" series finale, 5/15/07
fuzzy
Power poster

Post by fuzzy »

Yeah I saw it last year sometime; twas very powerfull. What du wanna discuss aboot it? \:D/
Goodbye, and have a pleasant tommorrow!!
I swear to drunk im not God.....
keiraknightleyfan27
Power poster

The director said something on the extra features that got my attention. It was something like this: "You might see something in this movie and react in a certain way whether that's laughing or anger or something else. Ask yourself why you reacted in this way."

For me, this was what made the movie so hard to watch. I reacted in a certain way to one part because of the stereotypes behind the certain groups in the movie. I thought that it was weird that a black guy liked listening to country music. It was weird because not that many black people I know like to listen to country music. I have only one black friend that i can think of that likes country music. It's a stereotype that goes on in our country that country music is "white people" music and rap music is for "blacks or Hispanics". After I saw the movie it made me angry about how we categorize things such as music by who the majority is that listens to it. Just like after 9/11 people started to categorize people of middle-eastern descent as being very violent or terrorists.

It makes me mad that we just categorize people that way. I guess I just wanted to talk about the different stereotypes in the movie and why we have those stereotypes. I think that everyone has a certain stereotype about someone because we make an opinion on someone when we meet them for the first time or we talk online for the first time or whatever. We can't get away from stereotypes. My communications teacher says we use them to categorize. But how come we let the categorizing go to far?

Even though we know that stereotypes don't include all people of a group, we still categorize those people in that stereotype. Even though I know not all blacks have a taste for rap music, I still categorize black people as liking rap music. Why? I don't really know. I think it is because there are a lot of black rappers or rap was made up by black people or a lot of black people actually do like rap. But, I guess this movie made me realize how vulnerable we are to categorizing people into certain areas just because of their race or gender. I don't think that is fair to categorize people totally into one group. I am trying even harder now to do that. I thought that I didn't really do it before, but I know I am wrong because I could relate to some of the things said in that movie. I could relate to how some of the people felt. I think lots of people can relate to these characters because I think people do the things they do every day without knowing it. People make jokes about ethnicity, about blondes, about girls, boys, anything they can think of and it hurts and it stereotypes. I wish we could all just be friends and not stereotype based upon our differences of skin or gender or how we act or where we are in life. :*( I guess that's what I wanted to talk about because for me, like Ryan Phillippe's character, I thought I didn't stereotype people, but then I realized at the end that I really do. I really do categorize people, and even more than I thought. :*(
Rory Gilmore (to Lorelai as she leaves for an internship in Chicago): Mom, you've given me everything I need.
Luke Danes (to Lorelai): I just like to see you happy.---"Gilmore Girls" series finale, 5/15/07
keiraknightleyfan27
Power poster

Something I just thought of. Lots of people like to watch the show Will and Grace because it is funny. Why is it so funny? It's funny because it makes jokes about gay people. It has done one thing by saying to the public that "being gay is okay" but it does another thing by turning around and stereotypeing those who are gay. Jack is always worried about his clothes and always criticizing Will for not being concerned about his appearance like a "real gay man" would, even though Will really is gay. We laugh because there are so many jokes about gayness in there. We laugh at what we don't understand or what most of the society laughs at. I will always love Will and Grace because it is so funny and because it seems to say that being gay is okay. But, is it okay for the show to make a stereotype of "gays have to be neat, well-dressed, only caring about fashion Jack McFarlands?" I commend the show for making Will Truman a more "unstereotypical" gay by making him dress less nicely, and be less shallow. But still, the show provides the stereotype of gays being little Jack McFarlands, and people still like to listen to that stereotype instead of believeing that not all gays are that way. :-({|= :*(