Troubled by the past and feeling jealousy

Non-dyspraxic chat about anything under the sun

Moderator: Moderator Team

Little Miss Anxious
Power poster

Troubled by the past and feeling jealousy

Post by Little Miss Anxious »

Hey!

I have always hoped to be a singer or in a band by the time I was 16-18 but there has been no luck for me and I am 24.

I get quite jealous when I think of and see performers who have already made and are alot younger than me or who have just made it and are older than me.

It really iritates me with the fact that alot of great performers don't have a disability and don't face practical challeneges that people with a disability face on a daily basis.

I have been told that I am very looking to have such a musical gift as a singer but there are many with same effect and even better than me who don't have the symptoms I have or others with a disability have. It angers me.

I feel that because I have a great personality that I would have made many friends and possibly people who want to be a part of a band like me and or somebody to hang out with regularly for years if I stayed in mainstream my whole life but I was placed in special school from the time I was 7-18 and I didn't fit in there, I was quite well off mentally. I am a deep thinker and there were no deep thinkers in that school.

I am in part time plc education or plc course and am finding it difficult to fit in with alot of the young girls because I am not interested really in talking about people or fashion or school etc but need some good likeminded female friends. Well I would like some. There would be rarely any women who would agree with my lifestyle choice of non strings sex and exploring my sexuality and dating online and flirting online, wanting to have many fun, good and different experiences while I am alive so that would reduce my female friendships if I had some.

I would like to have a group of mixed genders to spend time with every week.

Any ideas on how to start new friendships with people who are attending your course or club who are near your age group...... What about people on the street, could I try with them???

Thanks for listening.

WB.

O:)
Amy Conway
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Troubled by the past and feeling jealousy

Post by Tom fod »

Amy congratulations on moving into your flat hope all goes well.

Quite a few artists/performers have hidden or not so hidden disabilities. Ian Drury of the Blockheads had Cerebal Palsy, Florence of Florence and the Machine reportedly has dyspraxia as does Daniel Radcliffe of Harry Potter fame.

Believe you're being hard on yourself by comparing yourself to others. Not good though it is infuriating that some people fall into things with seemingly very little effort on their part. Try not to ley it get to you

All the best

Tom
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

First of all I have to say well done with getting your flat sorted - thats good news :)
Believe you're being hard on yourself by comparing yourself to others. Not good though it is infuriating that some people fall into things with seemingly very little effort on their part. Try not to ley it get to you
That is true - try not to compare yourself to others if you can help it as it can lead to gelsoley and envy which are verry distrusitive emotions.
Yes others have it better then us but we can't realy do anything about it except try to deal with it the best we can and do the best we can.

Peformance is a verry hard industury to get into - its not un commen for a lot of people (dyspraxic or not) to be in the same situation as you. My advice would be to keep trying and practising as much as you can, when you can and take oppertunites to meet other peformers and people in the industury - that way you buld up your contacts and potenchal for oppertunities.

About meeting people etc - you seam like quite a mature minded woman and not everyone your age is like that but I think its a good thing so no need to lower yourself to fit in. Try to talk to others when you go out or thoes on your course, people who have simmler intrests etc

I am trying to sort out a dyspraxia meeting at the end of this month in london - your more then welcome to come along. http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... f=6&t=2059
The real Mr Potato Head
Little Miss Anxious
Power poster

thanks for that.

Now I am not the only singer out there or in Ireland or Slig who has Dyspraxia.

Great. so wha makes me different then?

Am thinking of attempting the Xfactor uk next year and they always look for something different.

In 2009 All the judges from Sligos go talent where I live, thought I had a beautiful brilliant strong voice and see me as a poffessional jazz or blues ringer and were completel amazed and blown away by me but they didn't let me through to the next round which was the stage and I don't know why.

How do I get to London from the republic of Ireland for free???
Amy Conway
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

In 2009 All the judges from Sligos go talent where I live, thought I had a beautiful brilliant strong voice and see me as a poffessional jazz or blues ringer and were completel amazed and blown away by me but they didn't let me through to the next round which was the stage and I don't know why.

How do I get to London from the republic of Ireland for free???
There are a lot of reasons why they dident send you through - when you aduation (as you probably know) you are compeating not only on skill but on looks, personaity, what the producers / judges want etc so the odds can be agensed you.

How to get to london for free - I don't think that can happen unless you have mates that are willing to drive the distance but with looking around and book in advance it can be reletvie cheap. Check out megabuss, cheap flights, cheap ferrie costs etc.
The real Mr Potato Head
Little Miss Anxious
Power poster

thanks.

you see there are no open mics or jam sessions now, in my local area.

Nobody responded to my poster add which I put up after christmas and it has been taken down.

I didn't get the chance to sing recently at any music gig.

There is no singing competition in my local area.

yet there are many young bands and music artists out there for example The Oddsocks in my local area and outside of Ireland, the likes of Justin beeber, Hanah Mantana etc and Brittney Spears started singing at the age of 16. I wanted this since I was 16.

Now, do you understand how I feel???
Amy Conway
Tim G
Super poster

Post by Tim G »

I compleatly understand how you feel - it sucks, I guess the main problem is that there is no music oppertunites in you arear so i can compleatly understand why you feel fustrated about it.

Is there any open mic nights, music clubs / pubs in towns around where you are which you can try to peform at.
The real Mr Potato Head