Re: Religion

Post by Moot »

Atheist then, now and always.
Hopefully not making too many moot points... heh... *ahem* :D
desertboy
Getting settled in

Post by desertboy »

For a while I was a born again Christian. I had to leave in order to retain any semblance of sanity.This form of Christianity is a nothing but a poisonous, manipulative and brainwashing cult.I am now an agnostic about the big questions in life.

I suspect learning disabled people are prone to cults like this because we are fed up with this world often offers us nothing in terms of respect, belonging, love, purpose and prospects. Born again Christianity gives a person initial hope that all these things are solved by joining up. It is, however, just a spurious claim that can cause enormous damage with its emphasis on original sin and its threat of eternal torture after death for those who do not believe its doctrine.

I have nothing against the more liberal religious faiths that encourage honest questioning. But dogmatic fundamentalism needs to be mocked for the evil that it really is.

For those of you who like to deal with religion by humour, there's some great stuff out there on the subject from different comedians such as Billy Connolly, Dave Allen, George Carlin, Doug Stanhope, David Cross, Patton Oswalt and Bill Hicks. Their stuff is eaily found on youtube, but I should warn you that these comedians don't pull any punches and it is not stuff for people offended by bad language.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Brian Posehn's track Religion's Weird on Live in Nerd Rage is a favourite of mine!

"Heaven is a Chocolate Train with a Monkey conductor who farts lollypops"
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
lauraECFan
Power poster

Post by lauraECFan »

I am not religious in any way but I accept other people's beliefs whatever they are as long as they do not push them onto me which is when I am likely to snap
Animal lover forever
Bookworm forever
Live for today :)
if you have a dream chase it catch it and never let go of it
pouvik
Regular Poster

Post by pouvik »

im Wiccan :)