Holiday Destinations

Non-dyspraxic chat about anything under the sun

Moderator: Moderator Team

agsiul
Power poster

Holiday Destinations

Post by agsiul »

I love to travel and am always looking for places of interest. Has anyone been anywhere really interesting?
Lady Fluff
Power poster

Re: Holiday Destinations

Post by Lady Fluff »

I suppose it depends if you have any climate preference, but I went to Copenhagen in 2009 and loved it - very expensive, but a wonderful city!
I had a lovely holiday in Malta some years ago too, well worth a visit, though it was far too hot for me really.
"I will not be bound by what they tell me I can be; I will not stay silent, I will speak my liberty" (Kendall Payne)
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

I'm game for anything really. Though might rule out the Artic for now what with having Raynauds! Would still love to hear about someone else's trip there though if anyone's been. would love to visit Copehagen. Have been in Malta. Lovely place but even for me quite hot. A week was plenty to see both islands but might go back in the future. you'd never know.
Grackle
Regular Poster

Post by Grackle »

I've done three cruises (just got back from the last one) in the southern Caribbean. It is nice and warm this time of year. The cruise leaves from San Juan, Puerto Rico so we also spent a couple of extra days there. I don't really like big cities and I love oceans and some warmth this time of year so the Caribbean is a good choice for us. This year we went to St. Thomas, Dominica, Grenada, Bonaire and Aruba. We try to spend part of every day doing something nature related and then usually we shop a bit. We went sailing and snorkeling in St. Thomas, whale watching in Dominica (sadly we didn't see any), we went to see mona monkeys in Dominica (also didn't see any), a mangrove forest in Bonaire and a donkey sanctuary in Aruba. Our first cruise 3 years ago was the first time either of us have been outside North America. I would like to come and see Ireland and Great Britain and a bunch of other places too some day.

I've also traveled in my own country and the U.S. I lived in Vancouver, British Columbia as a child and again for a couple of years as an adult. I've also been to Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, Quebec, Saskatchewan and Alberta - and I live in Ontario so I've been places here too. In the U.S., I've been to Washington (the state and DC), New York, Michigan, California, Oregon, Nevada, Ohio and a probably a bunch of other that I don't remember. If you're interested in traveling to North America, I can probably be helpful.
Philip
Power poster

Post by Philip »

I have been really lucky, we have done a coach tour of America and Canada in 2008 (we picked one which covered the cities we wanted to see) whilst booking the holiday we added four extra days on the back of the tour, to stop longer in New York City.

Boston (USA) was nice even though we only had a day in the city, because of the coach schudule but it gave us a tasted of some of the main parts of each city we visited.

Ottawa in Canada is nice. There was nothing I dislike about the tour we did.

Mexico - was amazing 2009 and 2010, also we going back in 2011. I think even though it is very hot during the summer.
SirDaveofDanger
Getting settled in

Post by SirDaveofDanger »

Most recent trip was to Venice, which was my 'holiday of a lifetime' (thus far) purely because the arcitecture/history/culture was amazing. Really appealed to me, but probably wouldn't to people who are a similar age to me (22).

Also been to Amsterdam a couple of times, which was cool for both the seedy and non seedy parts (pretty amazing paintings in the Riksmuseum [not sure on the spelling there])

I'm hoping to go the US at the end of the year with a couple of friends, but its down to whether we can get the funds together
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

Yeah looked at flights to the States myself this year but very expensive
meow
Regular Poster

Post by meow »

I've only really been abroad to France, and Malta (although I don't do well in hot places)

Hopefully I'll be going to Finland this year, and I've always wanted to go to Norway. :) I'd love to stay in the Ice Hotel as well, although I'd probably complain about it being cold all the time. :P
calumfsinclair
Regular Poster

Post by calumfsinclair »

I go to scotland a lot, mainly due to my dad living on the isle of skye. But for other destinations Brussels, Normandy and Ypres are my favourite places on mainland europe.
Sticks and stones will break your bones, but more often if your dyspraxic!!!
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

Countries I've visited include:

France: Family camping holidays as a child, and as a adult a yearly trip to the Le Mans 24 Hours.

Spain: Family holiday as a child, as an adult I've visited Jerez, Valencia and Barcelona race circuits to do some media work in Formula One.

Belgium: Media work at Spa Francorchamps race circuit.

Greece, including mainland, Kefalonia and Zakayphos:'Family holidays.

Malta: I have a Maltese friend and am welcome to visit, so often do usually in December when it's cooler!

Italy: Visited an Italian friend.
Monaco: Day trip during Italy visit.

Wales: Family holiday, school hiking trip.

Isle of Wight: School field trip
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Willr0490
Power poster

Post by Willr0490 »

I have done a lot of UK based holidays in my life to destinations including:
1) Scarborough (1998,1999,2000,2001 twice, 2004, 2005 and 2009).
2) Whitby (three times, all school trips in 2000,2001 and 2006 to an outward bound centre)
3) Deal (family holiday in summer 2003)
4) North Wales (family holidays in 2004 and 2008)
5) Edinburgh in Scotland (in 1999 and 2004)
The only foreign holiday I have done to date was in 2003 to France (a school trip).
lauraECFan
Power poster

Post by lauraECFan »

Corfu - Sidari very nice place for a family holiday and locals are friendly (I recommend the olive grove, lagoon and sunny corfu hotels and for food I recommend the three little pigs (go around 8 as they do fire dancing at about half past) for dinner and B.E.D for breakfast. I go there nearly every year so the locals know us by sight lol

America - Florida went to disney world and other theme parks

Love the sun :grin:
Animal lover forever
Bookworm forever
Live for today :)
if you have a dream chase it catch it and never let go of it
LuluBoo
Getting settled in

Post by LuluBoo »

Disney Land Paris (although it was a day trip)
Cornwall athough very hilly and you need to drive a lot there are some interesting things to see
in Plymoth there's a fireworks competition every summer and the aquarium opens late at half price so you can watch it from there
Isle of wight is great too
I wouldn't reccomend Greece at the moment
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

Going back to Malta for a week this month.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
calumfsinclair
Regular Poster

Post by calumfsinclair »

lauraECFan wrote:Corfu - Sidari very nice place for a family holiday and locals are friendly (I recommend the olive grove, lagoon and sunny corfu hotels and for food I recommend the three little pigs (go around 8 as they do fire dancing at about half past) for dinner and B.E.D for breakfast. I go there nearly every year so the locals know us by sight lol

America - Florida went to disney world and other theme parks

Love the sun :grin:
I can't stand sunny places, I hate it being hot, I run for the shade as soon as the temperature hits about 22 degrees!!
Sticks and stones will break your bones, but more often if your dyspraxic!!!