curiosity

Non-dyspraxic chat about anything under the sun

Moderator: Moderator Team

Evasura
Power poster

curiosity

Post by Evasura »

Today I went to a conference for teachers and one of the speakers showed this video from youtube. She asked to put our hands up if we could see the dancer moving clockwise, anticlockwise or both ways. Very few of us could it see it both ways (me included). Most of people saw it clockwise. It is related to brain's laterality. As dyspraxia is in a way related to laterality, I was wandering how many of us can see it moving in both directions. Let's see what happens. Will you give it a try? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wE85GV6pLYc&feature=fvst
Eva in London
Grackle
Regular Poster

Re: curiosity

Post by Grackle »

She went both ways for me. I don't get how it works but she would switch back and forth randomly - it actually made me feel a little motion sick.
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

Something weird happened. I was watching it and it was just going one way all the time. I was my usual self and got distracted looking at it and was saying to myself sure it's obvious that it is only going the one way sure just look at the shadow....it shows it's only going the one way but when I looked up wasn't it going the other direction....so I thought I'd missed the change so I went back and rewatched it but it was only going the one direction the whole time. then I did like I did before and sure enough the dancer changed direction. What does that mean? What did they tell you at the course?
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

Just looked again to see and yes...back to clockwise again...I bet if I looked down and looked up again I'd be able to change it though...I know what you mean about getting quezy though.
Evasura
Power poster

Post by Evasura »

well, the test was not really aimed at that. It's supposed to say if you are left brain predominant and therefore more logical, right brained dominant, which is supposed to make you more creative (or the way round, I can never remember which one is which) or bnoth and then you have both skills. However, there are researchers who that's not that clear and it's been exaggerated by the media. See more on: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_lateralization (well, it's wikipedia, but...)
Eva in London
agsiul
Power poster

Post by agsiul »

Well I'm right brained so. I'm very right eared and also I'm right eyed so logically speaking I should be right brained I think. Wans't really aware of the left side of my body for years. yeah the right is supposed to be more the creative side. There is a supposed to be a bit of both on both sides as in there are different areas of the brain for music and different languages so that if you have a stroke and one area gets hit you might still be able to communicate through another area. There was a really good programe on the BBC about brain injuries and the brain and hormones about 6 years ago. No idea what it was called. I think what they say is that the problems happen when you don't have good crossover between both sides of the brain and that you don't have that firing across from one side of the brain to the other.
Osymandus
Power poster

Post by Osymandus »

Widdershins for me :D Left brainier then ;)
Osymandus
Power poster

Post by Osymandus »

Lol watched it again and i see both :D