Star Trek - Pro or Anti Dyspraxic?

Non-dyspraxic chat about anything under the sun

Moderator: Moderator Team

Magic_Lemur
Regular Poster

Star Trek - Pro or Anti Dyspraxic?

Post by Magic_Lemur »

I know I've mentioned this before (on 'Praxis - the Homeworld of Dyspraxics?), but I discovered a new element to Star Trek that I thought constituted an interesting discussion in its own right.

'Dyspraxia' (I've heard) basically means a 'lack of praxia' - 'Praxia' being the substance, thing or spirit that others have and we don't.

I was mentioning the theory about the planet 'Praxis' (the one that blows up at the start of Star Trek 6: http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Tec ... raxis.html ) being a whole world made of Praxia to a friend & she pointed that actually that wasn't the only mention of Praxis in Star Trek.

Apparently there is a charactor called 'Praxia' in Star Trek: Voyager, who was friends with Neelix before Voyager came along. Though I can't find confirmation, I hear that Praxia was supposedly killed along with Neelix's family.

The question is why was she killed?
Why do we never get to see a charactor 'Praxia' & why does Star Trek never get round to visiting any planets with the name 'Praxis', 'Prax' or otherwise?

I think it is because Star Trek is biased against Dyspraxics & is deliberately not giving us the solution to our problems!

What does everyone else think?
Do you know of any other mentions of this in Star Trek?
Or any other myths & legends about Dyspraxics?

I was fortunate enough to find this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Praxias_and_Androsthenes & I always find it amazing how such stories involve chaos & unfortunate events (in this case the destruction of a temple), but I'm sure there are others with more uplifting endings...
"But only 1 in 10 survives all danger.
When walking thru the jungle,..
He never fears tigers
as there's no place to sink his claws,...

This is the fulfilled person of the Tao
who has no mortal spot."

Tao Te Ching Verse 50
Daniel
Administrator

Re: Star Trek - Pro or Anti Dyspraxic?

Post by Daniel »

The Star Trek films are very reference heavy, not least Undiscovered Country where you can't throw a rock without hitting Shakespeare). I'm not sure I'd read very much into a lot of it, although perhaps the destruction of Praxis is a comment on the Klingons.

Daniel
JamesStanley
Getting settled in

Post by JamesStanley »

Im A Huge Sci-Fi Fan and My favourite Sci-Fi series is Stargate and in Stargate Continuum there is a planet called Praxia which is where Baal has his Time Machine.
Iame
Getting settled in

Post by Iame »

I dont recall any mention of it either but I watch more of the series' though. N I forgot to say .....'I am Locutus of Borg and Resistance is FUTILE!!!! Sorry I love the Borg so much, and First Contact was on the other night :D
salems24
Getting settled in

Post by salems24 »

hmmmmmmmm sorry if im ruining the mood or something but it just seems like a coincidence to me and that you may be reading too much into it :P

no offence
Magic_Lemur
Regular Poster

Post by Magic_Lemur »

None taken. :)

I think it might just be coincidence, though 'Praxia' does crop up quite frequently in Star Trek & Ancient Greek stories probably did it on purpose too.

I doubt they were saying anything specific about Dyspraxia, but you never know...
"But only 1 in 10 survives all danger.
When walking thru the jungle,..
He never fears tigers
as there's no place to sink his claws,...

This is the fulfilled person of the Tao
who has no mortal spot."

Tao Te Ching Verse 50