Will Britain be able to make a sucess of Brexit?

Non-dyspraxic chat about anything under the sun

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Will Britain be able to make a sucess of Brexit?

Post by Tom fod » Sun Oct 21, 2018 11:36 am

I feel we still need to be in tent pissing out (or working with our Continental neighbours) than outside trying to **** in (or off) these neighbours. The EU certainly has its flaws but it all smacks of storming off and trying to take the ball.

There was so much disinformation. Anywhere else online,I’d be shouted down by conspiracy theorist loons for ‘following the sheeple’. Of course NIck Clegg will sort out truth and integrity on Facebook in the same way Tony Blair is sorting out the Middle East!
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)

Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim » Mon Oct 22, 2018 6:52 pm

Not at all then #-o
Jim is back ... Jim is J i m and J i m is Jim.

Confused? I'd be.

Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod » Sat Dec 01, 2018 11:54 pm

So is Theresa going to be defeated and ousted?

I both feel sorry for and have a degree of admiration for her. Feel she should shut Jacob Rees Mogg and Arlene Foster up in the Tower but what if they produced the spawn of Satan during their confinement Eek!
:evilb:
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)

Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim » Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:25 am

She’s a convienent scapegoat due to her position as prime minister.

But it’s really not her fault. It was only ever going to be a losing battle and she did actually vote to remain at the referendum. It’s just that in her mind she’s committed to honouring the result.

Which is a nonsense as it’s ever clearer that startlingly few people honestly had a clue what they were voting for.

The then prime minister, John Cameron also voted to remain. And he resigned on the result as he basically didn’t want to lead Great Britain into this mess.

It’s a mess created by the greedy privileged, who don’t mind making things worse for the public to maintain their own advantages.
Jim is back ... Jim is J i m and J i m is Jim.

Confused? I'd be.

ALADDIN
Power poster

Post by ALADDIN » Fri Dec 14, 2018 9:00 pm

I think the UK will adopt the Norway+ model (staying in the single market and customs union).

The Northern Ireland border problem, can only be solved by having the whole of the UK in the customs union and single market.

Theresa May's deal basically puts Northern Ireland in the single market and customs union.

No one wants Northern Ireland to be treated differently, especially the DUP (they keep May in Power).

There is no time in the next few months for a trade deal with Europe, no technological solution.

It is the only feasible deal, that can get through Parliament.

That is up to March 29th 2019.

Andrew_S_Hatton
Power poster

Post by Andrew_S_Hatton » Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:51 am

I have no idea how it will work out but think at last we are just beginning to learn that ultimately parliament is more important than Government, although Governement can control the UK Parliament if it can keep its Members of Parliament together.

Also referenda are only ever advisory unless Parliament chooses to accept the decison of a referendum.

I believe we are in the biggest constitutional crisis for at least a century and the best way I can influence it (in the long term) is by voting for a candidate MP who truly understands parliament which many seem not to do and once elected by lobbying my MP in ways that s/he will actually respect - which will depend upon the person.

In my case there is no point in lobbying my MP - she blocked me on Twitter years ago and waved me away witha flick of an outstretched hand in the central lobby of the Palace of Westminster in 2014. She is an idealogue immune to taking serious note to anyone who has a different opinion to her - fortunately not all are quite so stubborn.