Are There Any Other Americans On this Site?

Non-dyspraxic chat about anything under the sun

Moderator: Moderator Team

grissom2984
New member - welcome them!

Re: Are There Any Other Americans On this Site?

Post by grissom2984 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:38 am

I'm an American...but I think I have a different political bent than those that have responded already. I didn't vote for Trump, but if my state had been a "battle-ground" state, I would have. I voted for Darrell Castle. I'm one of those evil conservative Republicans who happens to be a Christian. Vermont's great with all the social programs...unless you have to pay the taxes there. :)

Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod » Sat Aug 11, 2018 1:27 am

Heated debate is good 8-)

If at least some of those taxes we pay go to helping to provide a safety net for those who are less fortunate is that not a good thing? I think the Us and Them causes unfair friction between the haves and have nots and but for the grace of god we might find ourselves needing help ourselves.

Darn I'm sounding like a Dangerous Liberal here. Best I shut my Fake News Up! 8-)
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)

grissom2984
New member - welcome them!

Post by grissom2984 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 3:18 am

I'd be willing to subsidize the production of Vermont maple syrup with state tax dollars ;) In all seriousness, though, I think we both want the same things, just have a different view in how we should handle it. I'd rather the government get out of the way and let the natural sense of helping our neighbor take over. We live in a country where we didn't use to need government to step in and tell us to help each other out. Also, what if one of the special programs supported by the government tax dollars violates my moral conscience? Shouldn't I be free to give that money to another organization that may be trying to help in a way that doesn't violate my conscience? Anyway, I'll step off my Texas-sized soap box. Vermont is a great state, and, while I don't agree at all with Senator Sanders, I do trust he means what he says. I also think he's a great advocate for Vermont.