Non-dyspraxic chat about anything under the sun

Moderator: Moderator Team

Dan
Power poster

Re: Being compared to being on drugs

Post by Dan » Wed May 09, 2018 8:26 pm

Ram wrote:
Dan wrote:
I would argue that weed is definitely less harmful than alcohol in moderation based on my own experience, although moderate alcohol use is actually perfectly healthy on the whole. The primary concern with weed is that if people have latent schizophrenia, it can exacerbate symptoms, but I would much rather somebody smoked weed every few days than drank moderately every few days in terms of the impact on well-being long-term. This is generally accepted even amongst the medical community I think, but obviously it is better not to take any drugs at all.

One qualitative way in which weed is better than alcohol is that weed can really spark creativity, and one actually remembers a lot of what happens to them on weed the next day, whereas even moderate drinking can really destroy our memories of events. Weed definitely makes our memory poorer when we're on it, but not to the same extent. This is more of a psychological point than anything, but I feel that it is better that we are able to remember most of the events in our leisure time.
I always thought that people who drank very modest amounts of alcohol (I.e. five units or less week) were supposed to be healthier than teetotalers according to medical research. Maybe this information is out of date. From a subjective point of view, I have never felt even moderate intake of alcohol does me much good. I find it extremely energy depleting for starters!

I've never used weed even though I tentatively support its legalzation, so I can't comment on its creativity inducing properties but I have heard about this before.
Small amounts of alcohol drinking are supposed to increase life expectancy, yeah, but I was talking about something like 15 units a week in that example. :)

Ram
Power poster

Post by Ram » Wed May 09, 2018 10:16 pm

Dan wrote: Small amounts of alcohol drinking are supposed to increase life expectancy, yeah, but I was talking about something like 15 units a week in that example. :)
I suppose the problem is that words like moderate are a bit vague unless they are qualified by a number. I've made up a rather crude table of what constitutes light, moderate, heavy and very heavy alcohol and cigarette consumption, togther with the health ramifications for alcohol and cigarette users at each level. If you added a column for weed that is based on the number of joints smoked per week, how would it look?

Light to Moderate Alcohol: 1-14 units / week NOT HARMFUL/MAYBE BENEFICIAL

Light to Moderate Cigarettes:1-9 / day SOMEWHAT HARMFUL

Moderate to Heavy Alcohol: 15-35 units/week SOMEWHAT HARMFUL

Moderate to Heavy Cigarettes: 10-20 / day HARMFUL

Heavy Alcohol: 36 - 50 units /week VERY HARMFUL

Heavy Cigarettes:21-40 / day VERY HARMFUL

Very Heavy Alcohol: 50+ units per week LIKELY TO DIE YOUNG

Very Heavy Cigarettes: 40 +per day LIKELY TO DIE YOUNG

Dan
Power poster

Post by Dan » Thu May 10, 2018 12:38 am

Ram wrote:
Dan wrote: Small amounts of alcohol drinking are supposed to increase life expectancy, yeah, but I was talking about something like 15 units a week in that example. :)
I suppose the problem is that words like moderate are a bit vague unless they are qualified by a number. I've made up a rather crude table of what constitutes light, moderate, heavy and very heavy alcohol and cigarette consumption, togther with the health ramifications for alcohol and cigarette users at each level. If you added a column for weed that is based on the number of joints smoked per week, how would it look?

Light to Moderate Alcohol: 1-14 units / week NOT HARMFUL/MAYBE BENEFICIAL

Light to Moderate Cigarettes:1-9 / day SOMEWHAT HARMFUL

Moderate to Heavy Alcohol: 15-35 units/week SOMEWHAT HARMFUL

Moderate to Heavy Cigarettes: 10-20 / day HARMFUL

Heavy Alcohol: 36 - 50 units /week VERY HARMFUL

Heavy Cigarettes:21-40 / day VERY HARMFUL

Very Heavy Alcohol: 50+ units per week LIKELY TO DIE YOUNG

Very Heavy Cigarettes: 40 +per day LIKELY TO DIE YOUNG
Well, it's difficult to be as accurate with weed smoking, due to the fact some people smoke with bongs and use differing amounts of weed in their joints, but it would only go up to 'SOMEWHAT HARMFUL' with extremely heavy use, which is the main difference between weed and alcohol/cigarettes. :)

allesandro
Power poster

Post by allesandro » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:27 am

back in the 90's I was allergic to the preservative ( a mercury derivative) they used to put in contact lens solution. My eyes were always bloodshot, and people I worked with used to insinuate that I was a pot smoker. The truth is I don't smoke or drink. I have enough problems. I don't need any substances to give me any more problems than I already have.