Will Britain be able to make a sucess of Brexit?

Non-dyspraxic chat about anything under the sun

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tom fod
Administrator

Postby Tom fod » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:21 am

I have a day off today and in an attempt to incite debate here I thought I'd ask something topical (and downright controversial)

Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)

Yossarian
Getting settled in

Re: Will Britain be able to make a sucess of Brexit?

Postby Yossarian » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:01 pm

Speaking as a British citizen, my honest answer is that I don't know. I certainly hope we can, because we've committed now and any attempt to reverse the result of the referendum would be an affront to our democratic process.

I think that we have given up a lot by leaving the EU. We will likely lose the right to live and work anywhere in Europe. We may also see some big employers tempted away from our shores.

Perhaps we will be able to strengthen our ties with the US and create a new trade deal with our friends across the pond.

Initially, it looked as though the vote in favour of Brexit was going to provide the impetus for a second (and successful) referendum on Scottish independence. This would have been somewhat ironic.

Tom fod
Administrator

Postby Tom fod » Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:17 pm

To me it seemed crazy they didn't decide first what a decisive vote margin was (and maybe were over confident in believing it would tip towards No and that would be the end of it?)

Think we'll always need and want to maintain positive relations with our continental neighbours as we can't just pull up the anchor and float further away with our fingers in our ears. To me it still feels like our continental allies are calling the shots re our exit and we've tipped people into a whole load of uncertainty. I guess I wish more thought had been given to the what if scenarios beforehand. I guess the Government understandably want to keep our cards close to their chest and have a few chips with which to bargain terms. Interesting times and I too hope they can negotiate a good deal that works.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.

ALADDIN
Power poster

Postby ALADDIN » Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:00 pm

I think it is a question, how much worse the UK will be. I think it is a big mess. I think the deal the Government will get with Brussels will be very bad or there may be no deal, but who knows ? It will not be concluded by March 2019 (I do not think ) !!

Theresa May not survive beyond Christmas 2017. See - http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 55451.html

I do not think she can negotiate a good deal, Boris Johnson contradicts himself. Liam Fox is a hardline Brexiteer. David Davis , I do not believe does the job in a serious manner. The negotiations are behind schedule and going badly. It will be complex, difficult and long-winded.

In order to have access to the single market, there has to be freedom of movement, which Theresa May, Boris Johnson, Liam Fox, Davis Davis want to stop in March 2019. Near 40% of trade is with EU Countries, which cannot be replaced with other countries. If the UK,loses EU trade or is worse off, prices will go up, unemployment will go up, maybe interest rates will go up, living standards will go down.

It was older people who voted more strongly for Brexit, we are in a interconnected world, based of trade-blocs, leaving makes life harder. I think there is a possibility, the UK may never leave the UK, it such a big mess, any hard brexit deal may not get through parliament and the House of Lords.

Yossarian
Getting settled in

Postby Yossarian » Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:53 pm

I definitely agree that a deal is going to be hard to reach. One country has decided to leave a longstanding union of twenty-eight countries. The one leaving is not going to be dictating the terms.

Free movement of labour strikes me as being the real sticking point. There seems to be a consensus that a vote for Brexit was a vote against this free movement. Because of this, Mrs May will not compromise on freedom of movement during the negotiations. I think that this could lead to us leaving the table with no deal at all.

otis_b_flywheel
Regular Poster

Postby otis_b_flywheel » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:49 am

It's not going to happen. I'm quite happy to go on record stating this. But, things are likely to get a hell of a sight worse before they get better.
Tim

"I may not be perfect, but parts of me are pretty awesome."

ALADDIN
Power poster

Postby ALADDIN » Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:43 am

Before trade deals,they have to agree a Northern Ireland border (Leo Vadarkar wants no border between the Republic and Northern Ireland, Theresa May wants Technology to be used), a divorce payout and a EU Citizens rights, there is no real progress, the hardest part will be the Northern Ireland border. If one country out of the twenty seven disagrees (Germany, France, Italy and Spain will be very tough), the whole deal collapses. A "temporary customs union" and "temporary single market" will be hard to do. Everything is hard to do by March 31st 2019, probably very very hard.

Tom fod
Administrator

Postby Tom fod » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:37 pm

I agree it's an absolute mess and a technology border??? Not sure that is ever going to float. About as effective as a wall or fence. Guess they''ll blunder along but road will be rocky and strewn with pitfalls.

And people say we Dyspraxic's are inept! Ha bloody ha!
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

Return to “The Lounge”