My 10 regular blunders with mobile phones

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

chloe
Getting settled in

My 10 regular blunders with mobile phones

Post by chloe »

Hello all.
I am all fingers and thumbs when it comes to using mobile phones and computer keyboards and
Here are my 10 regular blunders- there are more but these are the ones that jumped out at me when I thought about it.
1-The mobile phones and I can not find it. It is on my body somewhere, but by the time I have worked out in which pocket , and how to answer it, it has stopped ringing.On a good day, I remember to put it in my front left hand pocket.
2- The screen disappears on me when I am trying to text
3- I leave it in cafes and all over the place.
4- I am always dropping it, it just slides out of my hand
5- I habitually experiment with it and explore all the features. The last time I ended up with texts in Spanish and could not get it back to english for ages.
6- I get funny squiggles on it when I am texting.
7- Sometimes I am not even sure how to answer it, and press all the wrong buttons first.
8- I am in a public place and it is ringing and I do not realise it is my phone that is ringing, and i am wishing whoever it is with a ringing phone would answer it.
9-I find it hard to switch from capital to lower case letters when texting.
10- Forgetting how I have stored peoples information.
Still progress a few years ago I would not even dare to try to text.
Chloe
rhyds
Regular Poster

Re: My 10 regular blunders with mobile phones

Post by rhyds »

chloe wrote:Hello all.
I am all fingers and thumbs when it comes to using mobile phones and computer keyboards and
Here are my 10 regular blunders- there are more but these are the ones that jumped out at me when I thought about it.
1-The mobile phones and I can not find it. It is on my body somewhere, but by the time I have worked out in which pocket , and how to answer it, it has stopped ringing.On a good day, I remember to put it in my front left hand pocket.
2- The screen disappears on me when I am trying to text
3- I leave it in cafes and all over the place.
4- I am always dropping it, it just slides out of my hand
5- I habitually experiment with it and explore all the features. The last time I ended up with texts in Spanish and could not get it back to english for ages.
6- I get funny squiggles on it when I am texting.
7- Sometimes I am not even sure how to answer it, and press all the wrong buttons first.
8- I am in a public place and it is ringing and I do not realise it is my phone that is ringing, and i am wishing whoever it is with a ringing phone would answer it.
9-I find it hard to switch from capital to lower case letters when texting.
10- Forgetting how I have stored peoples information.
Still progress a few years ago I would not even dare to try to text.
Chloe
1: Does you phone have a vibrating alert function? I always have mine on so i know it's ringing or not
2: I get that on other people's phones I borrow, I always go for phones with big, well spaced buttons that have a "positive" feel to the buttons, so you know if you've pressed something or not.
3: It's not unknown for me to leave it on the desk at work...
4: This is why I buy the "business" type phones. Their chunky, big screens and "dropable"
5: That's how I learnt to use mine lol
6: Funny squiggles? like ~$@"&* or similar?
7: On an old phone I had, you could set it so that any button answered the phone, look in the instruction book for something like "one touch answer"
8: I've set mine to have the theme tune from ITV's World of sport as a ringtone, no-one else is sad enough to have that lol
9: Most have 3 settings, lower case, upper case and "automatic", which upper cases the first letter of a sentence, i leave mine on auto with predictive text on if i'm texting in english, but off if i'm texting in welsh.
10: I hate it when that happens...
rhyds
Regular Poster

Post by rhyds »

On a similar note here's my current phone:

The screen is nice and big, the back panel is made from pressed steel (so survives being whacked, dropped and so on) and it's easy to use. I simply can't get along with touchscreen phones or any with those silly little joysticks that last about 10 mins after buying the phone.
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

I find the back and cancel button on my Nokia are annoyingly close to each other, so I often tend to cancel a text msg when I'm trying to delete something I've written. Fortunately it gets saved in drafts so all is not lost.

Phones do come in a great many sizes, so if you're not too fussed about particular features, then pick one with a keypad that suits you.

As regards general usage, give yourself an easy time and keep your phone somewhere you can reach it easily enough should it ring. I, incidentally, never do this, and generally have it in a tight jeans pocket tangled with the headphones and with money and junk all around which fall out when I try to extract the phone quickly. One day I'll learn or otherwise buy more practical clothing.

Dan
Artful Angel
New member - welcome them!

Post by Artful Angel »

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply to your responses. Lost the contact details for a few days. Any way now I am reading what you said. Good suggestions. tHE Nokia phone that was pictured is my husbands phone and I get on better with his phone and hope when the finances pick up to treat myself or be treated- birthday coming up.
Still doing all the stuff. Find it difficlut to change the settings.
Sorry about typing mistakes. hAVING A Bad typing day.
Chloe
rhyds
Regular Poster

Post by rhyds »

Bit of a thread ressurection but i've just spotted that JCB (they of big digging machines fame) have started selling a simple to use mobile phone that's totally and utterly impossible to break. There's no camera or other "widgets", but the buttons are apparently designed to be used with gloves on so might be easier than other phones if people are having issues.

Also, being BRIGHT Yellow would make it VERY difficult to mislay...

Edit: apparently samsung also do a "tough" phone with better widgets but i'm not sure what the buttons are like on that