Official Diagnoses?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

k9ruby
Getting settled in

Official Diagnoses?

Post by k9ruby »

Has anyone here still not had a 'official' diagnoses?

Basically, people still can't decide what is *wrong* with me, although the most common denominator is Severe Dyspraxia.

Basically people have said I have:

OT: Severe dyspraxia, SID and tremor

PT: Severe dyspraxia and hypertonia

Consultant: Severe dyspraxia with various bits thrown into the mix!

Neurologist: Severe dyspraxia, ASD/PDD-NOS/ speech sounded like someone with apraxia

School nurse: Aspergers/intoeing/hypertonia

Community ped: Traits of aspergers, hypertonia

Other consultant: Possible CP

SENCO: Severe Dyspraxia, hypertonia

We say I have severe dyspraxia, SiD, tremor, hypertonia, in toeing
k9ruby
Getting settled in

Re: Official Diagnoses?

Post by k9ruby »

Sometime soon, I should be going to get re-assesed by a neurologist in Oxford, A) So I have evidence for uni B) He can hopefully make a final dx. :)
Creative
Super poster

Post by Creative »

I was diagnosed as Dyspraxic by an OT when I was 15.
Charlotte
Getting settled in

Post by Charlotte »

Hello Ruby (it's Charlotte from dyspraxic teens in case you didn't know)

My most recent diagnosis is non verbal learning disorder (or NVLD) after my diagnostic assessment at Uni. I'd never really had a 'full' assessment before and the results were that my verbal skills are average and my 'performance' (or non verbal) skills are poor. Hence the name. It's very rare and has much in common with dyspraxia, asperger's syndrome and ADHD.

Before my NVLD diagnosis I had dyspraxia diagnosed when I was about six or seven. They also mentioned 'ADHD tendencies' as I was hyperactive and dreamy at the time although nowadays it's mostly just dreamy!
k9ruby
Getting settled in

Post by k9ruby »

Hello Ruby (it's Charlotte from dyspraxic teens in case you didn't know)

My most recent diagnosis is non verbal learning disorder (or NVLD) after my diagnostic assessment at Uni. I'd never really had a 'full' assessment before and the results were that my verbal skills are average and my 'performance' (or non verbal) skills are poor. Hence the name. It's very rare and has much in common with dyspraxia, asperger's syndrome and ADHD.

Before my NVLD diagnosis I had dyspraxia diagnosed when I was about six or seven. They also mentioned 'ADHD tendencies' as I was hyperactive and dreamy at the time although nowadays it's mostly just dreamy!
Thats quite interesting because I looked through my reports the other day and my 'performance' thing was average but the other thing was 'high'.

What is the difference between dyspraxia and NVLD?

Thanks for the reply ;)
gomababe
Regular Poster

Post by gomababe »

I was officially diagnosed at 5, but no one did a thing about it because it didn't affect my school work, so I never got the support I actually needed. I got re-assessed in January of last year, in my final term at uni, and got the DCD diagnosis {they're both pretty much the same thing, except DCD is where the messages between brain and body get confused}. I think I might have Dyscalculia as well, going by the report I got back {I did very, very badly in the maths bit ^_^;}, but that''s not actuallly an official diagnosis >_>.
Charlotte
Getting settled in

Post by Charlotte »

Hi Ruby, I think it depends on the difference between the verbal and performance (or non verbal) IQ. E.G. I have a 31 point discrepancy between mine (verbal IQ = 104, PIQ = 73). The scores themselves are obviously important, e.g. a verbal IQ of 90 is considered 'low average' and a verbal IQ of 110 is considered 'high average' despite the 20 points between them. It is the difference between the two that is important and NOT the scores themselves. Someone with a performance IQ of 120 and verbal IQ of 160 is obviously very bright but there's a 40 descripency between the two.

I have heard that there is often a large difference between verbal and performance IQ in dyspraxia as well. The educational psychologist told me though that usually in dyspraxia it is tests like block design and processing speed which are lower than the verbal IQ. Many people with dyspraxia have an ABCD pattern of performance, that is, they score low in Arithmetic, Block design Coding and Digit span. With me, all my performance test scores are low. Also my digit span test score is good. NVLD affects social skills more than dyspraxia does.

However it is important to remember that there are always exceptions. Vicky (Parnassus) for example, also has a lower performance than verbal IQ and her difference is quite staggering I think her Verbal IQ is 155 or something and her performance IQ is 63! She has told me that she also received a NVLD diagnosis at one point, however, preferes to use the labels dyspraxia and asperger's syndrome, other diagnoses she has received. Asperger's syndrome itself often involves a large verbal-performance IQ difference, however this can be in either direction. Steph has a large difference between her two IQ scores as well.

Also, IQ testing isn't always the best way in establishing skills... despite my verbal IQ being only average and my performance IQ being in the borderline mentally retarded range I still managed to achieve a first average on my University exams last year.

Hope this has cleared up a few things.
k9ruby
Getting settled in

Post by k9ruby »

Thanks C!

I have dug out the report and I got 90 on the performance and 113 on the verbal thing. However, one thing I found strange is I actually did quite well on the block design- 83rd percentile...eh? Am I a strange exception? However, I know my processing speed isn't that great, and so is my STM (I will be told 3 things to get and I will come back with the 1st and last thing :grin: :grin: ).

I'm just awkward you see lol

Another label I was given a couple of months ago was NDD (Neurological Dev. Disorder), but apparently that has a massive spectrum aswell.

Well, my referall to the physchologist has come through, so I will keep you posted :P
Charlotte
Getting settled in

Post by Charlotte »

Hi again Ruby,

Yes, it is unusual for people with dyspraxia to have a high block design score but everyone's different... I know (or think!) that you enjoy art and design and are quite good at each and that involves visual spatial awareness, like block design does. I also know that, unlike people with dyspraxia, people with autistic spectrum disorders (including asperger's syndrome) tend to have good scores on block design.

It's funny because in everyday life my STM seems awful I do the same as you, get told 3 things to get and will just come back with the 1st thing. I also forget things people have told me only seconds later. Yet, when tested, it comes out as high average
k9ruby
Getting settled in

Post by k9ruby »

We must be the awkard ones to stump the test :P

Anyhow, I have a pysch appt coming up, and will ping back with more info!
sheppeyescapee
Power poster

Post by sheppeyescapee »

Hey,

I got a diagnosis of dyspraxia and dyslexia in 2007. Then concerns were brought up at uni over the year and I got a provisional diagnosis of AS, dyspraxia and SID beginning of this year. Should be having a proper assessment sometime in October to decide finally if I do have AS or not.

J :rolleyes:
I am J, 24, husband, student, diagnosed AS and Dyspraxia.
littlemadangel
Getting settled in

Post by littlemadangel »

I was 15 when I was diagnosed with dyspraxia by an O.T.. (I'm 20 now)-so that was in and around 2003, I think.

However it took years and years for me to get that diagnosis, my parents and I were constantly reassured that it would all come with time and I would catch up with other people my age soon, I didnt really!

I think I was well behaved and quiet as a child so everyone looked over the fact that I struggled, thinking that I had no problems whatsoever!
Daniel
Administrator

Post by Daniel »

Littlemadangel - there does certainly seem to be a recurring theme on the forum that if you're academically bright and quiet and just get on with things you're generally overlooked as having a problem.

Dan