Have you been diagnosed?

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Daniel
Administrator

Have you been diagnosed?

Post by Daniel »

Have you been professionally diagnosed as having dyspraxia?

As part of the new Dyspraxic Adults website (currently under construction) we'd like to provide information and experiences to those who are looking to be diagnosed themselves.

If you could share your story, experience, or write about the process involved in obtaining about you, we'd really like to hear from you. You can post your experiences to this thread, or please PM me if you'd like to contribute to the new site directly.

Please get in touch!

Dan,
Dyspraxic Adults Admin
The Lurker
Power poster

Re: Have you been diagnosed?

Post by The Lurker »

Not diagnosed - No, but would be interested to hear of peoples' experiences - how they went about getting diagnosed, especially as an adult.

I tried to tell my employers I needed to see an educational psychologist and not a doctor, and especially not a pyschiatrist - they would not listen ](*,) so I gave up - hey I've managed for 30+ years without their help :rolleyes:

The only reason I mentioned it to them in the first place was because of bullying issues :( and that was after I had done my own research and put a name to the way I had functioned all my life. I am not different to how I was before I mentioned it to them, but suddenly it is a big problem, more of a problem than the bullying in their eyes :evil:

I wish I hadn't raised it with my employers now, because now I am being treated differently and being made out to have problems which just aren't there - and they are determined to try and send me for councelling which I don't want or need - I don't have a problem with my dyspraxic ways (which have always been there but I now have a name for - whats in a name?), but they seem to have a major chip about it - they need the councelling, not me :grin:

Sorry if I have went off on a tangent from the OP ;)
Liz944
Super poster

Post by Liz944 »

I got diagnosed through uni (the second time around...) through the disability support services as I had other health issues which needed sorting out and they arranged for me to see an educational psychologist... I always suspected I had dyslexia so was surprised when I found I had dyspraxia as well....
Drama is life with the dull bits cut out...
SavV
Regular Poster

Post by SavV »

Diagnosed? Yes i was, at age 11. But it took mum and dad years of trying to get the doctors to listen before one finally did and said something other than 'There's nothing wrong with him.'

Cheers,
SavV
Hang on..... this isn't my classroom...
sheppeyescapee
Power poster

Post by sheppeyescapee »

I got diagnosed September 07 at the age of 23. :D
I am J, 24, husband, student, diagnosed AS and Dyspraxia.
Emmur
Getting settled in

Post by Emmur »

hmm. Well I have not been diagnosed with dyspraxia, but I have been seeking diagnosis for about a year.

I've always had problems that fit dyspraxia perfectly, and last year my mum admitted she thought I had it, so I put on an employment application that I had bad balance so they sent me off to occupational health for tests to confirm it and she refferred me to my GP, who then did the same tests and refferred me to a neurologist.
Bearing in mind that all these tests are solely for my balance issues because that is the most obvious problem so nobody has really assessed anything else, although my neurologist has referred me to neuropsychologist wo I haven't seen yet.

What I have been diagnosed with is an unknown genetic syndrome of Spinocerebellar ataxia that my sister has too but no one else in the family history has been aware of.

It makes me wonder about the fact that some people think dyspraxia is no one thing to everyone, its just a collection of symptoms, because the neurologist thinks my balance and dyspraxic style other problems are unrelated and I'm just unlucky. I suppose I'll have to wait to see the neuropsychologist and see what they say about it. I wish I'd never tried to get diagnosed because then I'd still just be a normal person with a few issues here and there, I didn't think I'd mind the labels and stuff but the neurologist was saying he doesn't know how much worse the balance will get or how quickly or when and I don't think thats something I wanted to be thinking about at 18.
hmm
gherkin001
Super poster

Post by gherkin001 »

I was diagnosed at 12, but cant tell too much about it as my parents hid it from me, I only found out a year or 2 ago what I'd being going to what I believed was a Nut House for.

Kirsty
DySpRaXiA dOeSnT mAkE lIfE hArDeR, jUsT mOrE cOmPlIcAtEd.
November Rain
Getting settled in

Post by November Rain »

Not officially, no. But I would like to be so that I can have something to show for my condition, at least then nobody can accuse me of just being lazy and using the excuse of dyspraxia to get out of everything. Not that anyone's ever said anything like that to me touch wood but just in case.

I do have a slight fear however that if I went to get professionally diagnosed, they'd tell me that there was nothing wrong with me, what could I put my difficulties down to then? I mean, I don't go about thinking "Oh, I can't do that because I'm dyspraxic" without giving it my best shot beforehand, but I do find certain tasks awkward and if I was to find out that I wasn't dyspraxic (which I would be very suprised at), I would just feel pretty useless really. At least if you know you're dyspraxic it makes perfect sense why you may need more time doing a particular job and whatnot, even if you do curse your condition, but otherwise you think that it's just you and feel like a failure. That's from my perspective anyway.
Lucy_Rush
Power poster

Post by Lucy_Rush »

I've been diagnosed yes.

It first came up during primary school that i might have a problem due to my writing/co-ordination/etc, but since i was a bright kid nothing was ever done about it, since i "couldn't possibly have a problem if i was clever". Became more apparent as i went through secondary school, and still couldnt do simple things like tie my shoelaces ot tie. I had some extra lessons to help because i was thought to be "too quiet" through lower secondary, but not much else.

But then in year 10 (still no shoelace or tie - tying abilities lol!) we got a new science teacher, who actually knew about dyspraixa! The first lesson we had a written test. When she was marking the papers, and got to mine, she saw the illegible writing. When she finally deciphered it and marked it, i actually came top out of the whole class. She clicked there was a problem and rang the parents. Eventually i saw an OT, who got me to copy a bit of a book, and timed me for 1 minute. She saw the speed was slow but didnt do any further tests. A note was written to the school of about a line long which suggested dyspraxia and miraculously got me extra time, a seperate room, and rest breaks in gcses. This continued through alevels and my degree!

When i eventually got to uni, i discovered i'd actually need to get a proper diagnosis. Saw the disability service, who said they had no-one to diagnose me. sent me to the doctor, who sent me to an OT, who said they could only help if i struggled to get in the bath ( :-s ), and told me to speak to the uni. Gave up on the whole idea. Till 2 years later. In the final semester of my dgeree, i went back, to check my exam arrangements. It was mentioned that i reallly should get a formal diagnosis, i explained why i hadnt and was then told they now had someone to do it for me!

I got an appointment with the ed psych for a months time, (which i spent convincing myself i wasnt dyspraxic just a bit slow). Had all the tests done, (access to learning paid the full cost) she said i obviously did have problems, and 3 weeks later i got the report back. I was diagnosed with "mild dyspraxia with difficulties of a dyslexic nature" , (as in i am not actually dyslexic, just have some similar problems caused by different things).

I'm glad i got a diagnosis eventually, it has meant i can apply for dsa this year, to hopefully get some help with certain things next year. Put my mind at rest too, having it in black and white. :)

Anyway, sorry that was really long! Lucy
conor
Getting settled in

Post by conor »

was unoffically diagnosed(aged 21),need to be offically soon,for college,have appointment(in june) for dr person,will see what happens then....
Creative
Super poster

Post by Creative »

I got diagnosed at 15 when my parents were trying to get me a statement. Although it was good to have a diagnosis, having the statement didn't help as my special needs co-ordinater wasn't very good!
Shadwell

Post by Shadwell »

I was diagnosed in 1986, as dyspraxic, but haven't been bothered in trying to get anymore in depth diagnosis since, as out of education, so would cost me money.

I know where most of my problems are, and tend to avoid anything that involves it, apart from driving, and driving lessons on the LGV's
Lithium_joe
Power poster

Post by Lithium_joe »

Diagnosed in 1992 age 13 by Dr Freda Newcombe with the John Radcliffe Head Injury Unit (impressive, no?)

I was reassessed by Angela Tann, an Occupational Therapist with Sheffield Hallam, who administered to me The Morrisey Pegboard Dexterity Test and figure ground discrimination as well as balance and motor skills and concluded I was definitely Dyspraxic and demonstrated Developmental Co-ordination Disorder.

This diagnosis secured me DSA funding for this year. :banana:

Too bad it all came to nothing. :boxedin:

I should add: I was was un-diagnosed at my first university. Decalring dyspraxia, I was assessed for dyslexia and demonstrated no weaknessess so was told there was nothign wrong. Proceeded to complete my first degree and progress to an MA, whereupon my grammar and essay structuring start to be criticised anew. I mention to the faculty I am dyspraxia and a cry of 'oh that explains it' goes up from my tutor. but too late to make any difference. the comments page on my MA dissertation are burned into my memory: A sophisticated and persuasive essay, however grammar is not your strong point is it?

Hence the pro-active seekign out a new diagnosis with Sheffield Hallam, which alos proved necesary to secure the diability grant since the funding bodies don't accept any diagnosis that's pre-sixteen years of age, as mine - and I suspect many peoples now - will be.
"You don't get anything worth getting by pretending to know things you don't know."
~ Sam Harris.
Meg
Power poster

Post by Meg »

I was diagnosed at the age of 9, but my mum first saw ther ws a problem with my co-ordination when I was 6.

Luv Meg
Xxxx
MissChicken
New member - welcome them!

Post by MissChicken »

Hi

I have not been officially diagnosed, but my daughter was diagnosed at University. My whole life suddenly makes sense to me now. I would like to be tested because maybe then I could see which are areas of dyspraxia, and which are areas attributed to just me. Having had a 'difficult' childhood it would be nice to sift out the wheat from the chaff so to speak.

My doctor says that there is only the provision for children being diagnosed not adults.

So now I am learning about me. About dyspraxia and how it has affected my life. And, learning to adjust those things I have not already adjusted!
' Remember what you have achieved, and forget what you did not, and above all remember who to love, and forget who to hate'