Covid 19. Updated

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tom fod
Administrator

Covid 19. Updated

Post by Tom fod »

Hi everyone

The uncertainty and unease all of us face in our daily lives has ramped up massively in the last few weeks and our usual routines have been drastically changed. There is a lot we simply cannot control and the amount of advice and information is dizzying both official and floating about by word of mouth and online. A recent article suggests that we are all grieving for the ‘normality’ that we previously had.

I’ve seen various posts asking Does Dyspraxia affect the immune system? Do we fall under the category of people with Learning Disabilities who must stay in and not visit public places and try to stay 6ft away from all other people where possible?

There is a lot of conflicting information on this. Some of it emanates from the poor quality journalism on websites that carry already carry misleading and frightening information.

Some of us do have separate co-occurring conditions, for example asthma which mean we should do all we reasonably can to follow the advice of the Government and NHS or your own countries authorities.

What you can do If you’re self isolating at home

Try to have maintain a routine where you get up and get dressed. Have something for breakfast lunch and tea

If it is permitted where you live, Go out for a daily walk staying a sensible distance from others

If you live with other people give each other space and remember that they’re on edge too, quite likely worried for us and themselves too. Sometimes caring can make us a little short tempered or we mishear what others say or they misinterpret us due to the difficulty we can have expressing what we mean.

Do watch cat videos, Forgotten Weapons, comedy or whatever else provides you with a welcome break from the rolling news coverage. It is suggested that you avoid constantly watching the news.

Look at projects you can do like spring cleaning your kitchen cupboards or tidying your home. Please be cautious, for example: if dust and/or household chemicals are liable to set off your asthma As always, take your time and take care.

Please do stay in touch with/reach out to other folk you know by phone /text and other electronic means.

We’re all one big family even though we are individually unique.

If you happen to work or volunteer in the NHS or any other organisation, wherever in the world and in whatever capacity to help others’ get through this, we thank you from the bottom of all our our hearts.

Together we can get through this! Stay safe

This article is written primarily with a UK audience in mind. Please seek local advice where appropriate

http://www.dyspraxialifemagazine.co.uk/ ... ge-to-all/
Last edited by Tom fod on Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
bookworm
Getting settled in

Re: Covid 19

Post by bookworm »

Thanks. Same for you.
Jim
Super poster

Post by Jim »

Stay safe everyone.
“When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie
That's amore” :whistle:
Avarice
Regular Poster

Post by Avarice »

Yes a time in which supposedly normal people in every way are finding daily life that much more difficult to negotiate.

WELCOME TO OUR WORLD!
Last edited by Avarice on Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bookworm
Getting settled in

Post by bookworm »

Good point. Struggling a bit with the change of routine and not doing my usual activities.
Beth D
New member - welcome them!

Re: Covid 19. Updated

Post by Beth D »

Hi there

I’m new here. I’ve never been diagnosed but when my daughter was (4 years ago) we realised that was what had been “wrong with me” all these years.

But what I really wanted to say/ask is: does anyone else feel suddenly so much calmer and less stressed since the lockdown began? I feel like a weight has been lifted off me in a way I only ever feel on Christmas Day.

It’s like on a day to day basis I still need to negotiate my time, but on a broader level the Decisions are made for me. I don’t really understand it and wondered if anyone else felt the same?

Thanks
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Beth

Welcome. Glad you've found us. A fair few parents do become aware when their son's/daughter's dyspraxia comes to light.

I agree, the usual panicked rush of life as it was, seems to have v much abated. Now supermarkeys have guards and more regulatiom even shopping seems more muted and calm.

There's a wide variance of how people and and the degree to which they're able to cope. Some are more unsettled by uncertainty but in many ways it is beyond our control and out of our hands.

Stay safe and take care.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
Melody
New member - welcome them!

Post by Melody »

Hi Beth

I am loving lockdown and being in the shielding group. It is so lovely to just be able to relax and be me without being concerned with the norm. Also I have other difficulties which makes it much easier being at home.
Susan69
Getting settled in

Post by Susan69 »

Hi

I'm loving lockdown too simply due to no social pressure. I've told some people I'm in shielded group to get a break from social expectation to allow them to visit.

I do have some conditions that can affect the immune system so I have been careful and only taking my dog out very early when no-one else is about (live in a really quiet rural village too luckily mostly over 70's all staying in and no police patrols).

Only had family dropping off food when I couldn't get a delivery slot and they stood on the drive over 2m away, they were also very careful so we could meet up at their house after rules were relaxed a bit after June 1st. ..but haven't been to any shops or even taken the dog out when others were also about.

Loved it when they closed the car parks cos the local fishing lakes and nature parks were deserted and I got some great photo's of wildlife I've never seen out in the open before. Had the place to ourselves. Been seeing ducks in the local playing fields too even further inland from the lake when the village was practically deserted daily for the first few months.

Dreading the moment they announce the shielded group can meet other people from other households, find myself half hoping all the covidiots rushing out to the beaches, raves and demo's will cause another steep climb in cases so we can have another lockdown! (I'll still be slipping out to walk the dog very early AM anyway -they can't expect people to not walk their dogs or take them out to toilet!).
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Thinking about what I ought to be doing keeps me fully occupied.

Wasn't a great fan of home working as it blurred line between work and home a bit too much for my liking. Been back in office full time since April
Tom
Moderator/Administrator