New to dyspraxia

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

monkeyjess
New member - welcome them!

New to dyspraxia

Post by monkeyjess »

I recently decided to discover more about my dyspraxia I was diagnosed at primary school I am now 25 with kids of my own when looking into it I found out that dyspraxia affects emotions and organisation something I never knew is there anything apart from balance and co ordination that it affects
Niamh

Re: New to dyspraxia

Post by Niamh »

It can affect a whole range of things - I think clumsiness and terrible handwriting are the stereotypical associations but there are loads of characteristics. Not all will apply to you but I was definitely surprised when reading about it for the first time that things I just assumed were me, are common in dyspraxics. You can look at the dyspraxia foundation's list here: https://dyspraxiafoundation.org.uk/dyspraxia-adults/
Xenavire
Power poster

Post by Xenavire »

Dyspraxia is surprisingly pervasive. I'm not certain that there isn't an aspect of my life it doesn't affect in some way.

The important thing is that you have never let it affect you, and that you never let it in the future either. It doesn't hurt to learn more, especially on the off-chance any of your kids inherited it from you.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

It will affect you in various ways that can be v frustrating at times.

Sometimes we need to look for own way rather than the accepted way. Some things you can power through with willpower and persistance, but this can be exhauating. Sometimes taking the scenic route around allows you to make important discoveries along the way.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
ndyanem

Post by ndyanem »

Hello,

I’m currently undertaking CAT privately and my therapist is concerned that I’m dyslexic and dyspraxia. I went to the gp to find out about getting tested and was told I’m 30 years old you need to go private. Not very helpful and now I’m at a lost. I’m on universal credit so pennies aren’t tight. Does anybody know how to get tested please.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome.

There are possibly a couple of options. If you're expected/requiredto be actively looking for work you could ask JobCentre plus about whether there might be the possibility of funding. They may suggest you contact Access To Work.

Alternatively you might ask an Adult Education provider or, if employed, your Employer's Occupational Health / HR people.

Alternatively DyspraxiaUK whilst a private company might be able to suggest avenues by which you might fund an assessment. The Dyspraxia Foundation Website and/or their helpline may be worth a try.

Please let us know how you get on so that we can update/improve advice/suggestions.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)