Suggestion: mental health section

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

Xenavire
Power poster

Suggestion: mental health section

Post by Xenavire »

I see that a lot of people speaking up for the first time mention getting a diagnosis. Another common topic I seem to see, both here and in other places Dyspraxics gather, is mental health (anxiety, depression, and potentially more.)

Now, if there is a dedicated topic already, I'm sure that's great, but mental health is a fairly significant concern for us, and I believe a section of the forums, with links, guides, discussions and whatever else we might need, all dedicated to mental health, would be helpful and let people know, as soon as they arrive, that they arw allowed to and even encouraged to talk about theor problems.

Of course, this is only a suggestion, but I wouldn't bring it up if I didn't think it would be beneficial.
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Suggestion: mental health section

Post by Tom fod »

Hi Xenavire

it's something I need to look into when I have some time.

There are a number of areas/posts that certainly need updating such as links to the most useful posts in the Announcements and Info, Recommended Links and Events and Meetings sections. I should probably look at revising/updating the How the Forum works and how you might get the best from it Info too.

We do have to compete against groups on other social media sites like Facebook, Twitter and the like but then not everyone is on or likes Facebook.To be honest it and/or the people on it can be detrimental to our mental health.

If you find or know of any good sites or blogs I could link to feel free to post in reply to this.

Kind regards
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
reyes
Getting settled in

Post by reyes »

I agree completely, a mental health thread would be very helpful.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

I've started pulling some stuff together here
http://www.dyspraxicadults.org.uk/forum ... =13&t=7385
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
Xenavire
Power poster

Post by Xenavire »

I saw, it looks really good. Thanks a lot!
WillMunoz
New member - welcome them!

Post by WillMunoz »

I think that's a fantastic suggestion!
PrinceBryan
New member - welcome them!

Post by PrinceBryan »

Mental health is such an important topic, and having a dedicated section on the forums for discussions, resources, and support can make a significant difference. It would indeed let people know that it's okay to open up about their problems and that there's a community ready to listen and help.
For anyone seeking additional resources and information, you might want to check out https://www.mentalhealth.com/. It's a valuable website that can provide further insights and support on mental health issues.
Last edited by PrinceBryan on Thu Nov 23, 2023 2:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tom fod
Administrator

Post by Tom fod »

PrinceBryan wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 4:36 am Mental health is such an important topic, and having a dedicated section on the forums for discussions, resources, and support can make a significant difference. It would indeed let people know that it's okay to open up about their problems and that there's a community ready to listen and help
Mental Health and Dyspraxia are inextricably interlinked so whatever area of daily life your dyspraxia is impacting (work, study, relationships, day to day living) there's pretty much always a MH angle/impact to it.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator