Dealing with restlessness/fidgetiness

A place to talk about your experience of living with Dyspraxia

Moderator: Moderator Team

IG0KillahR79
New member - welcome them!

Dealing with restlessness/fidgetiness

Post by IG0KillahR79 »

Hello,I just made an account here so I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this so I apologise in advance.
Regardless,as the title implies,oftentimes I'm quite fidgety and it's causing me problems in a couple of areas in my daily life.It affects my ability to write,driving isn't nearly as smooth,and also it affects hobbies as well,like playing games for example,since it involves using a mouse.I haven't noticed any pattern as to what causes it or something among those lines.I only know that when it occurs,it's usually soon-ish after I wake up but it's not really a rule,it can happen without sleep being involved,so there's seemingly little provocation.
So I'd like to know what your experiences are,and any advice you can give me to mitigate this effect.Are there any key factors to look out for that cause this fidgetiness? And if I'm already in that state,is there anything you can recommend I do to help settle down?
Tom fod
Administrator

Re: Dealing with restlessness/fidgetiness

Post by Tom fod »

Hi and welcome.

In here is fine as good a section as any. Can i ask if you've mentioned this to your Doctor?
While restlessness / fidgetiness could well be simply down to you being you,, there could be other causes that a medical professional can rule out first.
For example it's possible it could be mitigated by a small changes to your diet or routine.
Tom
Moderator/Administrator

With a foot full of bullets I tried to run faster but I just hobbled on to the next disaster.
(from Peter and the Test Tube Babies, Foot Full of Bullets)
michael
Getting settled in

Re: Dealing with restlessness/fidgetiness

Post by michael »

For me it's a self-soothing mechanism for dealing with anxiety. I just think that living with dyspraxia can be quite anxiety provoking. Try some mindfulness techniques, particularly starting with diaphragmatic breathing.